Security Chimney (Lennox) BIS 2 / ii - What's missing here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EI6GXB

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
Hello all,

First post, also. Happy New Year to all.

We've bought a house here on Montreal island and have six years of non-bureaucracy left (don't get me started...) during which we can burn wood in non-pellet form.
That said, I'll likely pull out the stove in the next year or two, but during that time I'd like to have it working as it ought to.

We have one of these : http://www.securitychimneys.com/pages/fireplace/high_Bis2.asp?country=ca
A BIS 2 / ii, unless I'm mistaken. There appears to be cabling to a thermostat on the back (haven't checked if it's live yet) - and terminated wires at the front.

Here's what I reckoned happened : Something with the blower system went south and they removed it.
I'd like to reinstall one, but I'd like to see what's going on under the unit first. Don't worry about the sparky side, I'm an EE.

Can anyone tell me what airflow goes where? The outside air intake (not connected outdoors) appears to be missing its blanker and the adjusters to the firebox appear useless...they do nothing to influence the combusion - I can put my fingers up through the bottom and out the back.

Could anyone with a similar unit be so helpful as to post a few photos of the underside? :D
The manual is existent in name only...nothing detailing what these do?

Here's mine :

IMG_20140102_111644_760.jpg IMG_20140102_111651_152.jpg

Hello all,

First post, also. Happy New Year to all.

We've bought a house here on Montreal island and have six years of non-bureaucracy left (don't get me started...) during which we can burn wood in non-pellet form.
That said, I'll likely pull out the stove in the next year or two, but during that time I'd like to have it working as it ought to.

We have one of these : http://www.securitychimneys.com/pages/fireplace/high_Bis2.asp?country=ca
A BIS 2 / ii, unless I'm mistaken. There appears to be cabling to a thermostat on the back (haven't checked if it's live yet) - and terminated wires at the front.

Here's what I reckoned happened : Something with the blower system went south and they removed it.
I'd like to reinstall one, but I'd like to see what's going on under the unit first. Don't worry about the sparky side, I'm an EE.

Can anyone tell me what airflow goes where? The outside air intake (not connected outdoors) appears to be missing its blanker and the adjusters to the firebox appear useless...they do nothing to influence the combusion - I can put my fingers up through the bottom and out the back.

Could anyone with a similar unit be so helpful as to post a few photos of the underside? :D
The manual is existent in name only...nothing detailing what these do?

Here's mine :

View attachment 122553 View attachment 122554

Mine is a BIS 1.2. Basically the same thing. Photos attached. Two fans were removed? Hope this helps.

Attachments

• bis.JPG
    bis.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 414
  • bis2.JPG
    bis2.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 485
  • bis3.jpg
    bis3.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 414
Cheers! Looks like the air intake up to the firebox is via the left-hand channel, the main slots are for the gravity feed? Seeing the fans explains what the two holes in the plate do.

Would it be possible to see what the two levers do? Mine don't appear to influence the fire much at all. Sadly, my head does not fit into the space behind the louvres.
<>;hm

I'll get a mirror at it tomorrow.

Cheers! Looks like the air intake up to the firebox is via the left-hand channel, the main slots are for the gravity feed? Seeing the fans explains what the two holes in the plate do.

Would it be possible to see what the two levers do? Mine don't appear to influence the fire much at all. Sadly, my head does not fit into the space behind the louvres.
<>;hm

I'll get a mirror at it tomorrow.

Left lever combustion air. Right lever rate. The main slots in the center feed the ducts.

Reactions: EI6GXB
Status
Not open for further replies.