Security/Lennox 43 additional venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

postmarc

Nov 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Installed a Security SE43 (now Lennox ME43) a few years ago in the corner of my living room. Works great, too great. The heat-seeking missile I married some years ago even says now and then "The living room is too hot for me". I would like to take advantage of the fireplace's option to vent into my existing ductwork from the plenum, but don't think the $600-$985 I have been quoted for this option would qualify as a sane buying decision.

I already have the double barrel fans in the back of the plenum, but of course they just circulate and heat the air in the living room.

Any suggestions for a source for a higher-temperature tolerant in-line duct fan that I can put in to draw some of the heat into my ductwork and direct it towards the back of the house? Reminder, this unit draws combustion air from the outside, so no worries on that end.

Or am I missing something important about the overpriced venting option offered by Lennox/Security. If that pricing is anything like what I paid for the "Outside Air Combustion Kit"--$65 for a dryer vent and a piece of flexible duct with two clamps--I think I can do better with some ducts, a thimble, and an in-line fan from the local store.

Thoughts? Concerns? Possible code violations?

THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.