Sedore stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jht40

Oct 24, 2015
Ontario
I bought a sedore multi-fuel stove so far I love it but the smoke likes to roll out of chimney and go to the ground I am on a hill so it's always pretty windy . The cap is just a cheap one that the chimney installer used . I was thinking a better cap might be better ? The chimney is a custom 5.75 in liner cause the normal 6" is really 6"1/4 and it wouldn't go down my old 6 in tile chimney and it's about 18' feet and crests over the peak by 6 inches . If anyone has any questions about the sedore id be glad to look for them . The stove runs at about 500-600 degrees and the chimney pipe runs at 150-200 . Also the wood I'm burning is extremely dry maybe cut 5 yrears ago. Thanks for reading

Welcome to the forum!

With a modern, efficient stove you should not see much if any smoke coming out the stack after the first approx. 15 minutes. When you say the wood has been cut 5 years ago when has it been split and stacked in a sunny and windy location? Proper drying only starts once the wood has been split.

Does the chimney follow the 10-3-2 rule, meaning it protrudes at least 3 ft above the roof where it exits and is 2 ft higher than anything within 10 ft?

How do you measure the flue temps? Surface thermometer on a single wall pipe?

Chimney is within all specs just had it inspected and I measure temp on the single walled pipe about 6 inches above stove outlet . My smoke depends on the day today it's not windy and it looks fine going up looks like everyone else's stove and split 5 yrs ago some of it almost feels to light for the size of the piece of wood

The chimney is a custom 5.75 in liner cause the normal 6" is really 6"1/4 and it wouldn't go down my old 6 in tile chimney and it's about 18' feet and crests over the peak by 6 inches .
Sounds like wind effect. The chimney needs 18" more height to meet code.
http://www.woodheat.org/wind-chimney.html
10-3-2 rule.JPG

So it's 24 inches above roof line maybe 23 3/4 but close I used a 2x4 with a level and a tape so it's approx

I too am on a hill an sometimes get smoke going down to towards my neighbors when lighting and reloading. I believe it is caused by atmospheric conditions and wind direction. I only notice it doing this maybe 20% of the time. It does not last long though - once I fully engage the downdraft, all smoke ceases in less than 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.