See if you can figure out the color of this VC Defiant Encore from 1994

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
From 1994 Vermont Castings Defiant Encore in blue enamel, model number 2190 serial number 17906. Does anyone know how to figure out color names for these stoves? A local dealer told me that the blue color names for these stoves were Midnight blue and Moonlight blue. The darker blue being the midnight and lighter was moolight (tough he wasn't sure.) Is there a way to figure out the color name by the serial number?

I'm trying to figure out if these midnight blue warming shelves match the stove. The stove looks darker but the picture was taken with a cell phone without a flash. The shelves are midnight blue. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Blue Defiant Encore 2190.jpg
    Blue Defiant Encore 2190.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,253
  • Blue Warming Shelves.jpg
    Blue Warming Shelves.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 887
Chris,

I'm almost 100% sure that is moonlight. We actually sold a brand new one last summer that we had for years.

As for the serial number telling the story... not likely. I recently tried to dig up some info on an old radiance we have from the mid 90's and my friend at Monessen stated that VC recycled so many serial numbers back then it really doesn't lead to any thing.

Is this a recent acquisition of yours?

colors look pretty close to me, if not a match, when you factor in the camera flash. I dont know how difficult it is to get those color warming shelves but if they are really hard to get an option would be to go with the close blue or straight black. The contrast may make it look good. I would check with the wife first though or you might get that look, if you know what I mean!

VCBurner said:
From 1994 Vermont Castings Defiant Encore in blue enamel, model number 2190 serial number 17906. Does anyone know how to figure out color names for these stoves? A local dealer told me that the blue color names for these stoves were Midnight blue and Moonlight blue. The darker blue being the midnight and lighter was moolight (tough he wasn't sure.) Is there a way to figure out the color name by the serial number?

I'm trying to figure out if these midnight blue warming shelves match the stove. The stove looks darker but the picture was taken with a cell phone without a flash. The shelves are midnight blue. Thanks for looking!

Don't know what color shade it is but it sure is a nice looking stove! Chris it looks almost new..

Good Luck!

Ray

VCBurner said:

That enamel finish is in damn good shape for 1994. Looks like you lucked out and found a good enamel finish on an old VC stove. Which seems rare.

Clarks ACE Hardware said:
Chris,

I'm almost 100% sure that is moonlight. We actually sold a brand new one last summer that we had for years.

As for the serial number telling the story... not likely. I recently tried to dig up some info on an old radiance we have from the mid 90's and my friend at Monessen stated that VC recycled so many serial numbers back then it really doesn't lead to any thing.

Is this a recent acquisition of yours?
Hey Jay,
Thanks for the answer, the seller of the shelves said they were the midnight. The moonlight is the lighter color I'd assume, right? As far as the stove, yes, I hope to purchase it in 2-3 weeks, when I finally make it up to New Hampshire. I have been in touch with the seller quite frequently. He took the listing off Craigslist and I told him I would take it home as long as it is in good shape. I asked him to explain the condition of the fireback, cat and refractory housing. He mentioned he kept it in great shape, frequent cleanings and never overfired it. I'll gladly hand him over the $400 if it checks out. He was asking for $600, but I would not pay that for a 17 year old stove unless it was completely rebuilt, he accepted the $400 after some discussion. I can't wait to get it home and put some wood in it! It also has the 6" and 8" collars and a hearth pad.
Thanks again Jay, I'll post some pictures when/if I get it home!

Chris

-PB- said:
colors look pretty close to me, if not a match, when you factor in the camera flash. I dont know how difficult it is to get those color warming shelves but if they are really hard to get an option would be to go with the close blue or straight black. The contrast may make it look good. I would check with the wife first though or you might get that look, if you know what I mean!

PB, I thought the same as you about the color difference. The shelves look light, but it could very well be the contrasting picture lighting. I bid on these two shelves and ended up winning the auction. They supposedly retail for $120 a piece I got them for $31 each. I know they are worth more than that from a dealer. I just couldn't pass it up, if I got the stove home and kept thinking I didn't try for those shelves, it would always be on my mind. Like you said, if the color is slightly different it may be a good contrast, if they match, perfect! If not, I'll put them back on Ebay for $60 each until they sell! The wife has already asked about puttind the stove in the livingroom in place of the Dutchwest, she loves the look of the Encore and the blue color! She says the DW looks like an encinerator or something you would use to cremate a cat! :ahhh: I politely disagree, but it looks like I'll get to have my cake and eat it too, with both of those in the house! Ah, life is great, we expect a new addition to the family (boy #5,) I get to expand the house and buy another stove!! Beauty!!! :)

BrowningBAR said:
That enamel finish is in damn good shape for 1994. Looks like you lucked out and found a good enamel finish on an old VC stove. Which seems rare.

I thought so myself BrowningBar, though the picture leaves a little to the imagination. But the seller has assured me of its pristine shape. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:

I thought so myself BrowningBar, though the picture leaves a little to the imagination. But the seller has assured me of its pristine shape. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I'm actually leaning toward purchasing a new Encore 2-in-1 to replace the Intrepid. I have a pretty good dealer that's 5 minutes from me.

raybonz said:
Don't know what color shade it is but it sure is a nice looking stove! Chris it looks almost new..

Good Luck!

Ray

Ray,
I've had that stove on my mind since I bought the DW last year. No regrets with the DW, it will continue to heat away from whatever room it is in. I clearly made the right choice for me with that purchase. But the seller had an Encore for sale as well and the beauty of that stove made a long lasting impression. I would have never thought that a year later, I'd be picking up an enamel VC Encore. It's like a day in the park for me. I cannot wait to get it home!! I'll makew sure to keep you posted and updated with some pictures, once I get it here. Provided it's in good shape.

BrowningBAR said:
VC said:
BrowningBAR said:

I'm actually leaning toward purchasing a new Encore 2-in-1 to replace the Intrepid. I have a pretty good dealer that's 5 minutes from me.

That new technology sounds like a pretty impressive breakthrough. I must admit, that a hybrid stove like the new Woodstock sounds really intriguing, too. But the look of the Encore and Defiant combined with the innovative 2n1 technology has got to make this line one of the most attractive out there.

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
VC said:
BrowningBAR said:

That new technology sounds like a pretty impressive breakthrough. I must admit, that a hybrid stove like the new Woodstock sounds really intriguing, too. But the look of the Encore and Defiant combined with the innovative 2n1 technology has got to make this line one of the most attractive out there.

Well, for me it was two things:

1. Woodstock doesn't make a stove that fits where the Intrepid is. The Encore is the largest free standing stove that I can find that fits in the area. I could go with an insert, but we lose power quite a bit here during the winter.

2. The new Woodstock will not fit where the Vigilant is based on what I've seen since it is a side door load only. When it comes time to replace the Vig, which may be soon rather than later, I may go with the Defiant 2-in-1.

I did my fair share of complaining about the VC cat design and maintenance. Well, they changed the design, and it seems damn good. Might as well put my money where my mouth is... I guess. Still thinking, though.

Chris, I'm sorry. Now that I'm looking at these pictures on a desktop monitor and not my phone. The stove definitely appears to be Midnight Blue.

It is very common that the enamelled shelves and pipe don't match up perfectly. In fact, sometimes they are quite far off especially when the stove gets hot; it darkens a bit.

VCBurner said:
-PB- said:

PB, I thought the same as you about the color difference. The shelves look light, but it could very well be the contrasting picture lighting. I bid on these two shelves and ended up winning the auction. They supposedly retail for $120 a piece I got them for $31 each. I know they are worth more than that from a dealer. I just couldn't pass it up, if I got the stove home and kept thinking I didn't try for those shelves, it would always be on my mind. Like you said, if the color is slightly different it may be a good contrast, if they match, perfect! If not, I'll put them back on Ebay for $60 each until they sell! The wife has already asked about puttind the stove in the livingroom in place of the Dutchwest, she loves the look of the Encore and the blue color! She says the DW looks like an encinerator or something you would use to cremate a cat! :ahhh: I politely disagree, but it looks like I'll get to have my cake and eat it too, with both of those in the house! Ah, life is great, we expect a new addition to the family (boy #5,) I get to expand the house and buy another stove!! Beauty!!! :)
Sounds like the whole family will love it Chris
I have the grey on my encore, I believe they call it country cookware grey or something like that, discontinued color.

5 boys is a lot of cleenin pee off the seat... :)

The shelves came in today. As I suspected they were the midnight blue (as the seller stated) and are in fact darker than the picture shows. So they will probably match the color of the stove. The seller shipped them the same day as I submitted the payment. Shipping was pretty quick considering it was a cross country trip. CA to MA in 4 days delivered by the Postal Service. However, the dragon shelf brackets were both wrapped in the same piece of big bubble wrap, one over the other and as a result some of the enamel cracked and chipped off. There were some pieces of enamel inside the shipping box and plastic bubble wrap! I was disappointed as this could easily have been avoided by simply placing card board around each individual piece in the box. I wonder if there is a way to patch up these chips. Is the touch up paint the only way to fix such chips?

The stove will be picked up this Friday! I can't wait to see it in person.

Thin film of J-B Weld on the back of the chips from the packaging. Stuff is good to around 600 degrees short term and 500 all day long and if the shelves get that hot you will be watching from across the street anyway.

BrotherBart said:
Thin film of J-B Weld on the back of the chips from the packaging. Stuff is good to around 600 degrees short term and 500 all day long and if the shelves get that hot you will be watching from across the street anyway.

I was thinking of supper glue, but there are only a couple of pieces that are big enough to glue back on to the shelf. The most damaged was one of the dragons, it was surrounded by mostly tiny little chips. Is there any bondo type stuff that can withstand high temps? I wouldn't think those shelves would get that hot anyway, right? I may just try some touch up paint first to see how it looks, but I'll certainly try glueing the chips back on first. What exactly is J-B weld? Is it like glue?

-PB- said:
Sounds like the whole family will love it Chris
I have the grey on my encore, I believe they call it country cookware grey or something like that, discontinued color.

5 boys is a lot of cleenin pee off the seat... :)

PB,
My wife agrees with you! Sometimes I'm just as guilty, so I often clean the bathroom. However, on occasion, the three older ones have been asked to clean parts of it. Just so they are more carefull about where it all goes, they are always on the run!

My neighbor repairs small engines. He has actually plugged holes in the side of an engine block with J-B Weld and that thing is still running five years later. Auto parts stores have it as do a lot of other places.

It is one kick ass epoxy.

BrotherBart said:
My neighbor repairs small engines. He has actually plugged holes in the side of an engine block with J-B Weld and that thing is still running five years later. Auto parts stores have it as do a lot of other places.

It is one kick ass epoxy.

Cool, Thanks BBart. I'll have to try it. I'm sure it'll come out good, the shelves look great even without a stove! I can't wait to put them together.

VCBurner said:
BrotherBart said:

I was thinking of supper glue, but there are only a couple of pieces that are big enough to glue back on to the shelf. The most damaged was one of the dragons, it was surrounded by mostly tiny little chips. Is there any bondo type stuff that can withstand high temps? I wouldn't think those shelves would get that hot anyway, right? I may just try some touch up paint first to see how it looks, but I'll certainly try glueing the chips back on first. What exactly is J-B weld? Is it like glue?

JB Weld is basically a 2 part epoxy and it's sold at most auto stores.. I bought some at Walmart and used it to repair my vacuum cleaner..

http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php Like most epoxies they have a million uses..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.