See! See! There is NOTHING wrong with MY stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Absolutely Nothing!!

As you may recall, my husband through the really cold sub-zero days of our boiler-less January had insisted that something was wrong with the stove due to low heat output and heavy coaling.

Well, we've just reached the back of the woodshed where there is wood leftover from last year and maybe some from the year before. And guess what!? Put 4 splits in a half hour ago- and that thing is cranking! The secondaries are a raging inferno with the air down 100%.

Now why could that be...Hmmmmmm...I wonder... :roll:

ok, feel better now.

Da Sistahood allows these transgressions, occassionally, as does the Bretheren.

Massive spurts allows for a "split up sides the head".

Yep. A problem with wood sheds. A lot of times the oldest, driest, stuff ends up in the back. Have that problem now that I have finally built a shed after all these years because it backs up to the garage and the way it is going there is going to be a cord of my oldest wood left in the back after this season.

Dang it I hate that I am going to have to toss it out of the shed, put the newer stuff in and then re-stack it. :mad:

At least I didn't have that problem with the stacks out in the open. I would just pull from the back the next season.

BB, put a few boards down the middle and divide that bad boy in 1/2 or even 3rds.

SZMAINE. Have you ordered next years wood this week so that it'll be ready for next year? If not, plan on getting it cut and split no later than Late April Early May w/ drier species of hardwood.

I'm not much for mandates but if I were a person selling wood stove's, I'd also have a fire wood business and I'd sell every new stove w/ a free face cord of MY wood. That way the new owners could see what the stove is supposed to do then realize the difference when they are burning the @#$# stuff that everyone else is selling, or when they think their own wood is dry because they think is dry because it worked in the old fisher, nashua, ashley, etc.

pen

At the end of the season we dump out all the wood left in the shed, fill it with the new, then put the old back in front. It is a little more work, but gives us consistent burning wood throughout the season.

sz, now get him onboard to put in a block-off plate so that you get the most heat out of that stove and stop heating the outdoors.

WidowMaker said:
Simply put a door on each wall...problem solved...

I ain't bustin the back wall out of that garage to put in a door for the wood shed. :lol:

Sure it was bad planning and I knew what was going to happen. But dang it for the first time in 28 years I did not have to dig through snow or drag snow off of heavy EPDM roofing rubber every day to bring in wood and lug it up from the back door of the basement. I just walk out back on the walkway I made in front of that shed and get wood.

For a broken down old 63 year old that is known as heaven on earth. Sequencing the wood in the shed is a non-event.

Heck, for the first time in years I wasn't sick of burning wood by the end of December. That happened a week ago yesterday. :-S

The easiest most practicle wood shed I've seen is a simple ole carport. Lets plenty of air in to dry, keeps most rain/snow off, and it accessible from all 4 sides.

PapaDave said:
szmaine, Just tell him "I TOLD you so" and be done with it.
Alternately, you could say "it's the wood, dummy".
Anyway, nice result with the DRY wood, eh?

oh, yes - vewy vewy impwessive!

Even I was taken aback! I haven't seen that since...oh, I don't know....maybe LAST year when we reached the back of the woodshed :shut:

pen said:
SZMAINE. Have you ordered next years wood this week so that it'll be ready for next year? If not, plan on getting it cut and split no later than Late April Early May w/ drier species of hardwood.

pen

Pretty soon...we have about 4-5 cds 8 ft logs still up back. But I'm planning on getting another load 8cd tree length.
Gonna make a deal with him...if he will get it all down to size quickly I will do as much splitting as I possibly can to help get it ALL done -This YEAR!!
He will complain about where we gonna stack it all, then he'll complain about mowing problems when I tell him and whatever else he can think of - but that's my current
plan.

Our wood shed is really convenient - it's continuous with the kitchen L .
There is a door out to it from inside the kitchen. Never have to outside for wood all winter long.

Edit: Well, I guess the bad part about it is that once the wood goes in there continued drying probably comes to a near halt.

Attachments

• Picture 221-1.jpg
    Picture 221-1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 823
SteveKG said:
So. Load the shed right to left or left to right and not back to front. Unload same way.

Not possible, hard to describe... but I will move it, if is any is left over, to the opposite wall - shed need a mucking out anyway.

BeGreen said:
sz, now get him onboard to put in a block-off plate so that you get the most heat out of that stove and stop heating the outdoors.

I'm just gonna do it myself - I've printed a great example from here that somebody came up with using some kind of angled pieces to attach it - can't remember what they are but resemble the metal corners sometimes used on drywall. It looks pretty fool proof - so I think I can do it. :)

szmaine said:
Absolutely Nothing!!

As you may recall, my husband through the really cold sub-zero days of our boiler-less January had insisted that something was wrong with the stove due to low heat output and heavy coaling.

Well, we've just reached the back of the woodshed where there is wood leftover from last year and maybe some from the year before. And guess what!? Put 4 splits in a half hour ago- and that thing is cranking! The secondaries are a raging inferno with the air down 100%.

Now why could that be...Hmmmmmm...I wonder... :roll:

ok, feel better now.

Pretty Smart Feller If You Ask Me??

Valentine Week-End And The Hut Izz Warm And Cozy!!

If You Don't Post For A Few Days.... Will Understand.

Monkey Wrench said:

Attachments

• flitclip1.jpg
    flitclip1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 705
szmaine said:
Monkey Wrench said:

"Quick, Henry, the Flit!"In 1928 Flit, then marketed by a newly formed subsidiary of Jersey Standard, Stanco Incorporated,[3] became the subject of a very successful long running advertising campaign. Theodor Seuss Geisel created the artwork for this campaign, years before he started writing the children's books that made him famous as Dr. Seuss. The ads typically showed people threatened by whimsical, menacing insect-like creatures that will look familiar to fans of Dr. Seuss's later work and contained the tagline "Quick, Henry, the Flit!" This advertising campaign continued for 17 years and made "Quick, Henry, the Flit!" into a popular catchphrase in the United States.[4][5]

[edit] References

What I did in my first year with my woodshed has worked out quite well for me.

I loaded up my "freshest" wood in back to front on each side . . . figuring that having the most exposure to the passing air would continue to allow this wood to season in the year it would be under cover (and this is after it has been outside for a year.) The next oldest stuff went into adjoining stacks . . . stacking back to front rows which means the rows are shorter vs. stacking side to side, but the flip side is that I can pick through the stacks and not worry from year to year about the oldest stuff always being buried behind the freshest stuff . . .

What has worked out now is that typically in one year I will end up taking wood from the two sides . . . leaving the wood in the center stacks . . . and then in the following year I take from the center stacks . . . and so on and so forth. It has actually worked out quite well.

Attachments

• woodsheddrawing.jpg
    woodsheddrawing.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 258
Hey Jake, do you suppose adding Cameron Diaz to your artistic endeavor might be just a bit optimistic? ;-P
I'm still working on the woodshed rotation plan, seeing as this is the first year having it.
Somehow, there's wood in there that still sizzles a little. That ain't right.

Jake, you're a genius!!

I 'm gonna get George Clooney to process all the wood this year!

PapaDave said:
Hey Jake, do you suppose adding Cameron Diaz to your artistic endeavor might be just a bit optimistic? ;-P
I'm still working on the woodshed rotation plan, seeing as this is the first year having it.

I did say the drawing was not to scale or even remotely based in reality . . . ;)

I've been running a boiler for 3 years now. Each year I have had some less than season wood. The beginning of this year I managed to get into some decent wood that was seasoned and what a difference not burning wood to dry out the other wood.

The second half of the season has been terrible. I never completed my wood supply and worse, never got it into position. Since January I've been wheelbarrowing wood uphill in the back yard 200 feet after heaving split wood up a 10ft retaining wall elevation. Good: Losing weight and toning fast. The bad: spending too much time moving wood and I cannot get into my shop after work or feel like it after all the moving around.

Next years improvements:

Boiler and wood supply in driveway.
1000 Gal water storage.

firefighterjake said:
PapaDave said:

I did say the drawing was not to scale or even remotely based in reality . . . ;)

Oops, missed that notation. Right on the money! hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.