See what my neighbor gave me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Wood

Nov 23, 2012
Flinton Ontario
Was talking to my neighbor next door a few days ago and ask him what he was going to do with several large logs at the edge of his property. He has only lived there two years and said they were there when they bought the house and ask if I wanted them. Of course I said yes. It is about 150 yards from where I am starting my wood yard.

I cut a round off the end of one I thought it was pine took it home and it is cedar, sure smells good and splits easy. There are 14 logs 5 of them are 40 to 50 ft. And the rest are 20 to 30 ft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 275
Awesome score!

Nice to have those kinds of neighbors.

good neighbors..... good!==c

Strange that someone once went through the effort and expense of felling and skidding those trees only to abandon them. But that is to your benefit.

Cool... How much finished wood do you think you will have when CSS?
Have fun

I am new at figuring cords hopeing someone here might have an idea. The smallest dia. At top is 9 in. and the widest at base is 22 in. and around 400 ft.
Any idea how many cord?
You easily should have more than three cords. Depending on how tapered the logs are there could be over 4. If more than a few are thick for their full length you will quickly stack up the cords. A 20 foot log that is 18 inches at the top has a lot of wood in it.

Think of it this way for a rough estimate. If all of your logs are a foot in diameter for the entire length, and you cut them to 8 foot lengths and you stacked them 4 wide and 4 high you would have an approximate cord of wood from every 16 pieces. Your 400 linear feet of logs are going to give you fifty 8' lengths. 50/16 = 3.25 cords.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I started this thread last year and last week I drug the logs from my next door neighbors place. I took som pics of them before I cut them up, and after I split them.

Would anyone want to guess how many 4x4x8 cord are in these two stacks? I should have them stacked this week if we don't get any heavy rains. The only prize for the right guess is bragging rights here on the forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 212
I still go with my original estimate, over three stacked.

The smaller pile looks to be under a cord but the bigger one looks to be solidly more than two. Caveat, pictures of piles can be very deceiving.

There won't be any moths around your stacks.;lol

Reactions: Get Wood
Take some time to turn some into kindling.
Great wood for that.
I need a neighbor like that. :cool:

I split off a barrel full of thin ones just for that. I love the smell of cedar.

Rained yesterday and didn't get any stacked. It will proudly be the weekend before I get it stacked.

Reactions: PapaDave
I finally got my wood stacked Tuesday and got some pics. My stacks are 48" high 36" wide and 175 " long that is 1.36 cord. I got two of these that is 2.72 cord and as you can see on the one pic it is only 89 " long so that is .69 cord with a total of 3.41 cord.
Haven't looked back through the post to see who is the closest. There was a couple guessed close to 3 cord.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 146
Great score! Nice looking stacks, I'd round that estimate to an even 3...

Cases for your neighbor.;)

Awesome!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.