See what you think of this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Looking for opinions on how well this might work.

We have a Jotul Castine that does a great job heating our old [1910] colonial. The house has an old chimney running up the middle of the house, which happens to be right behind our bedroom closet. The closet is always nice and toasty.

There's currently an ugly, cheap-ass door on the closet, so I went out and bought a [used] louvered door for $10 to replace it, with the thinking that we might be able to get some of the heat from the closet out into the bedroom.

Do you think this might help, or am I dreaming? I'm going to swap out the door regardless because the other one is so damn ugly, but I'm wondering if my hope of capturing some of that heat is simply wishful thinking.

Not dreaming, some heat will circulate, though I can't say how much. Perhaps less than you wish for.

Just leave the closet door open. See what that does to the bedroom temps. Then see what it does with the new door closed.

Can't leave the closet door open. We have a pain-in-the-ass cat that will go in there and chew shoelaces and hanging clothes. Maybe I should consider getting rid of the cat. ;)

My daughters room backs up against our internal masonry chimney. It is always 2 to 4 degrees warmer than other similar rooms in the house that do not share a wall with the chimney. Just a note, the chimney wall does not feel warm to the touch, it is just not as cold as the other walls and some of that heat is transferred to the room.

KaptJaq

Can't leave the closet door open. We have a pain-in-the-ass cat that will go in there and chew shoelaces and hanging clothes. Maybe I should consider getting rid of the cat. ;)
Put aluminium foil down across the entrance. I haven't met a cat yet that would walk over that.

You can also try anything sticky or that makes noise. Cats are not a big fan of either. I'm not saying this is a permanent solution, but you can at least see what it's like with the door open. If it's a big difference, then you might want to look into finding a way to keep the cat out of the closet... or wear only clogs and chainmail ;lol

My wife, who detests the cold, was trying to convince me to simply put up a screen door for maximum heat transfer.

We have a louvered door on the closet with chimney chase. Some heat does transfer too the room.

Any heat is free heat that you didn't have with the solid door.
The back of my old fireplace and chimney are now inside the new addition bedroom here.
I boxed each side out and left 2 lower vents and two upper vents, similar to a heatform fireplace set up.
Addition is not done yet, nor heated yet. I can def tell a difference in temp when I walk in that room even without ceiling insulation yet. Not warm like having heat, but def warmer than outside and, warmer then the other rooms in the addition.

This heats our walk in closet.
Don't worry there is like 6 inches clearance to anything..label says you need 2", flue 002.jpg been like this since 86.

Code and mfg. says the pipe is to be in a chase. That exposed pipe is an accident waiting to happen.

Looking for opinions on how well this might work.

We have a Jotul Castine that does a great job heating our old [1910] colonial. The house has an old chimney running up the middle of the house, which happens to be right behind our bedroom closet. The closet is always nice and toasty.

There's currently an ugly, cheap-ass door on the closet, so I went out and bought a [used] louvered door for $10 to replace it, with the thinking that we might be able to get some of the heat from the closet out into the bedroom.

Do you think this might help, or am I dreaming? I'm going to swap out the door regardless because the other one is so damn ugly, but I'm wondering if my hope of capturing some of that heat is simply wishful thinking.
Where did you get that lighter??!cool

Status
Not open for further replies.