See your high price for pellets and raise you.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really see it a shame what has happened to the pellet situation. Now, I am purely looking at it from a "global warming" and ecological perspective. We all hear and read about diff areas around country who have pellet shortages or astronomical prices (saw recently 7.98/bag). A good many people bought the stoves in hopes of saving $$$$, some bought to be ecologically sensitive. Many for other reasons. Just seems as if there is such a huge fluctuation in prices/supply around the country. I believe that pellet stoves can have there place in an urban environment. IN fact, they would do good in an urban environment. But some where along the line, economics come into play. We all to a certain degree want to be ecologically sensitive, up to a certain price point. From all evidence and studies published, biomass is one way to negating "global warming emissions" Let us not get into that discussion. But biomass can play a large role. Now not everyone is going to rush out and buy a pellet stove, but a certain portion will, based on current popularity. There will come a certain point one could not and will justify running the stove. But even more importantly, I foresee that with all the negative press about pellet prices and supply; people will give up on their current stove (making it a nice planter or place to put nic naks) and others will not even consider one, continuing 100% fossil fuel based. There was recently a large study published on why CFLs haven't caught on, and it was largely that people have had negative experiences with fluoroescents in past (ugly lighting, price, availability, etc.) Just wish someone/group could work out all the kinks with the industry, b/c it is an ecologically viable option.

I bought my pellet stove to save me money.
Ecological reasons were not my main concern at all.

I wanted to keep my house warm in the winter and at the same time save money over electricity.

Last year pellet bags were at imo a fair price, and with the predicted huge increase in electricity in my province and with the constant increase of oil and gas, pellets and wood were the cheaper alternative for me at the time.
I discarded wood, because of the work it involves, storage problem (Dont have a shed) and with the mess and lack of thermostate operation made me decide for a pellet stove.

This was in 2005, jumping to 2007 would I buy a pellet stove??? Absolutely not.

Gas and especially oil they are "cheap", electricity was capped at 8% and pellets have jumped more than 50% in price which makes them more expensive than oil/gas and still cheaper than electricity.
The future doesnt look good for pellets either.
I simply can't understand how pellets which is a derivated from wasted wood can be so expensive and the price is skyrocking every year.
Imo the industry got greedy and feels that they can charge whatever they want and get away with it.
Unless there is a change of mind in the industry I believe pellets are doomed, there simply arent enough folks out there that care for the environment enough to pay premium for pellets.
It has been only one year but I do regret buying a pellet stove. It is not saving me more money than oil/gas...
It's sad...

It is NOT the industry that is hiking up the price
it is Greedy people Taking advantage of the Shortage of supply and trying to make more than a buck.
I have not raised my prices since the end of last winter.
Most of the NORMAL price increase is due to shipping not the pellets from the Pellet mills.
I will say this again and again
My cost for the pellets have gone up $15 per ton in the past 3 years

My cost to get them to me (trucking) has gone up over $50 per ton in the last 18 months alone.

I understand your viewpoint. If you don't mind me asking, excluding you profit margin and transportation costs, how much does it cost to produce a ton of pellets (total cost: labor, materials, amortization of machinery, energy.......). Now I am not singling you out or any producer in particular. It just seems as if the problems moreso relate to the industry being a cottage industry. What I am trying to convey is that pellets are a viable option. We live in a plug and play society, with good number of the younger crowd with minimal "mechanical" skills, especially in urban and suburban areas. So, the probability of consumers working with wood stoves in small. Whereas, pellets afford many positive attributes. I just would hate to see future consumers and market maturity negated by obvious problems within the industry.

UNBELIEVABLE. He sold the 20 bag listing. Must be a KENO head. Think they could use electric space heaters for that price. I am having a truly existential moment......dumb, dumb, dumb. Silly buyer will probably heap praise on the seller with positive feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.