Seeking Advice on Insert Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

murr50

Oct 9, 2019
Vancouver Island
Hello Everyone,
I just moved into a house, which had an old BK stove sitting in the masonry firebox. The BK had an 8" flue opening, which was coupled down and mounted to a 6" flue. Needless to say, this didn't meet code, and I planned to replace it with a Regency insert. When I pulled out the BK, and made my measurements for the insert, I realized that the old hearth had been cut out to accommodate the giant BK.

The height of the firebox opening is approximately 6 inches higher than the top of the largest regency faceplate. My question is, how should I tackle this project? Looks aren't super important at the moment, as I am going to be renovating the entire house. The basement is last on the list. The stove is purely for cheap heat. The option I'm currently thinking is:
Install the insert on the floor as is. There will be a gap at the top of the fireplace opening. I will have a chimney insert liner that extends down and hooks into the stove. At a later date, I can remove the tiles from the floor, and pour a new hearth to elevate the insert. This will get me burning in time for winter, and allow some thought to go into the final design. Does this make sense? Pictures attached to post.
Any other ideas?

A little background as well: I live in the wet Canadian PNW, and work in forestry. Firewood is free and abundant in my area. The fireplace is located in the basement of my bungalow. 1300 sqft upstairs and down (2600 total).

Thanks

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 59
  • fireplace3.jpg
    fireplace3.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 62
Do you already have the insert?

My favorite option would be to put a freestanding rear-vent stove in front of the fireplace.

I would not want to try to heat anything with an 8" stove on a 6" flue, jammed into a fireplace and losing 80% of its output to the bricks.

If you already have the insert, just an insulated liner and a blockoff plate will get you going for the winter, if you make clearances with the existing hearth and wood flooring.

I'd do a good inspection of both the chimney and hearth construction before making any decisions. Whoever inflicted that terrible install on that poor BK was no stove expert.

Last edited:
Do you already have the insert?

My favorite option would be to put a freestanding rear-vent stove in front of the fireplace.

I would not want to try to heat anything with an 8" stove on a 6" flue, jammed into a fireplace and losing 80% of its output to the bricks.

If you already have the insert, just an insulated liner and a blockoff plate will get you going for the winter, if you make clearances with the existing hearth and wood flooring.

I'd do a good inspection of both the chimney and hearth construction before making any decisions. Whoever inflicted that terrible install on that poor BK was no stove expert.

I haven't purchased the insert yet, but I did put a deposit down as the dealer was having a dandy sale on the I2400. That being said, the deposit could be transferred to a different regency stove. The Hampton line seems to rear vent, but the 2400 is more what I am looking for as far as firebox capacity.

I agree. The clearances do meet code currently, so i can install a liner and plate to get me going. Leave me some time to think about the final install.

I climbed up to look at the chimney last night. The crown needs to be redone, and the clay flue is cracked at the top. In canada we require a fully lined flue, so that isn't too concerning for me at the moment. Although the clay flue is rectangular, so I will need a liner to fit.

Yea, along with being a terrible stove install, it appears the chimney was waaaaay overdue for cleaning. I'm surprised the house didn't burn down. I have a Wett inspection that the homeowner commissioned from before I purchased the house. I will contact them for some advise moving forward as well.

Which BK stove... Mayby post the model. How tall is your chimney? Given that its 8" its prob a king? That said I have seen many kings running on 6" if they had tall chimney's. I would just use it till your ready to renovate the basement as long as its in decent shape. It is one of the best heaters made.(Depending on the model.)