Seeking advice on wood burning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

william36

Jan 28, 2014
Mississippi
First of all, thanks to all that have responded to my previous questions.
Due to the dealers in my area I'm looking at the following and would welcome any comments or suggestions.
My top two are Lopi Cape Cod and Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. I'm still considering the Clydesdale and Vermont Castings Montpelier. (I've read some bad reviews on VC but my dealer assures me they have fixed their problems)
My fireplace opening is 39W 32.5H 24D

Thanks

I'd stay away from VC, approve of the Cape Cod and recommend the FPX Flush Hybrid. I'm unfortunately not familiar with the Pacific model, however I'm sure it's not as nearly efficient as the Hybrid. And efficiency in this topic means saving money on your heating costs day after day after day after day! Hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the dealers in my area I'm looking at the following and would welcome any comments or suggestions.
My top two are Lopi Cape Cod and Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. I'm still considering the Clydesdale and Vermont Castings Montpelier. (I've read some bad reviews on VC but my dealer assures me they have fixed their problems)

Thanks

I checked on the average monthly temps in Mississippi; see :http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/39762

See that compared to Idaho Falls: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USID0120

I'm thinking that in your case a smaller stove might be better - contrary to popular opinion on this site. The stoves that you mention have plenty of horsepower - maybe too much for your area. I don't know... I have the Clyde and it has enough mojo to heat my house even today (I was going to use "horsepower" again but that would be too much of a pun). Today it was -17F with a high of about 12F. We have a 2000 square foot house on one level - with new HE windows, but only fair insulation. Clyde heats our home like a champ.

It's a good idea, I think, to match the stove with its intended purpose. So much of this depends on the house - its design, insulation, location, prevailing winds, ability to circulate air etc., that it's hard to make a solid, useful recommendation on the stove size. And often, bigger is better. If your home is well insulated, smaller might be better for you since you live in Mississippi.

By the way, the top two stoves that you mentioned seem to receive good comments from end users on this site. What stoves do other wood burners in your area have? Maybe the local dealer could give you feedback on what stoves are installed in your area. Perhaps you could talk with other local wood stove users...

Good luck with your choice...

My personal choice would be the Alderlea. I would stay away from the VC.

I've read some bad reviews on VC, but my dealer assures me they have fixed their problems. . .
What do you expect someone with a VC franchise to say?;lol
I think the fair thing to say is that the company is in the middle of a turnaround. We're rooting for them, but it remains to be seen whether their problems are behind them or not.

I have a VC and have absolutely no problem with the company, I called them up directly when i had questions and they spent time with me on the phone answering everything, then i had a firebrick with a hairline crack, I called up the place i bought it from, I had a brand new brick in my hand a week later, what is wrong with service like that? my montpelier fits my needs very well. Too many naysayers jump on the band wagon is what I see with VC. I'm sure they made some bad units but like I said, I'm happy with mine...
It may not be the best heater out there but proper burning practices will ensure it works properly plus it's one of the best looking inserts out there....

ddddddden, I should have mentioned that the VC dealer is also the Lopi dealer.
What do you expect someone with a VC franchise to say?;lol
I think the fair thing to say is that the company is in the middle of a turnaround. We're rooting for them, but it remains to be seen whether their problems are behind them or not.

I have cape cod and I love it. I heat my main leaving space about 1300 sf with cathedral ceiling and even with my semi season wood (only six months split stocked maple 74 is not a problem). In my two years with this stove I have seen only two times what it can do. That's because again of the wood, and l was really amazed with the heat out put and the fire show. Only down part so far no too many people here have that stove. I think it looks great and quality built too.

I have a Jotul c450. I've been happy with it so far. I chose it for two reasons. One reason, it fits, main reason it's the one my wife liked the looks of. ::-)

Reactions: william36
I went with the VC Montpilier because it has a much larger viewing area than many- I really like that. Done over I might go quadrafire. I see complaints about the dual air control, but on our stove I actually love the dual air. I'm still learning how to make the VC sing. Price/looks was sure nice.

Thanks
I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider VC. I have the VC monte and just love it, purchased in Aug 2013. The large viewing glass with the Georgian surround is awesome looking. The heat output is decent for a smaller stove, provided using dry wood, as is with any other EPA stove. The dealer I purchased from told me it was a good stove, and when I told him of reading some bad reviews on the stove, he said he hadn't heard of any complaints from previous sales of this unit. Also, the installer said he had installed 60-70 of the VC monte, and had heard of no complaints either. So I'm not sure of problems with this stove, other than some of the complaints on this site. This is my first year with this stove and have been using pretty much everyday when home, and all weekend. So time will tell how it will fare, but so far no complaints.
Mcd

I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider VC. I have the VC monte and just love it, purchased in Aug 2013. The large viewing glass with the Georgian surround is awesome looking. The heat output is decent for a smaller stove, provided using dry wood, as is with any other EPA stove. The dealer I purchased from told me it was a good stove, and when I told him of reading some bad reviews on the stove, he said he hadn't heard of any complaints from previous sales of this unit. Also, the installer said he had installed 60-70 of the VC monte, and had heard of no complaints either. So I'm not sure of problems with this stove, other than some of the complaints on this site. This is my first year with this stove and have been using pretty much everyday when home, and all weekend. So time will tell how it will fare, but so far no complaints.
Mcd
I agree completely, you can have a nice cozy room like this if you got th VC monte.......

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: velvetfoot
The uneasy feelings about VC is many of us that been here through the years watching owners struggle through the change of company ownership, heard countless stories of dropping quality and effectively no warranty back up by the company that took over ownership.
Until they get solid and re-established with a new good track record, they bad reputation follows, and many are crossing their fingers that the dealer & the company will step up should problems arrive, and warranty need to be used.

This is not to say many don't love their VSs, and there are quite a few posts of happy owners, and good dealers.
It is the poor dealers that helped hurt, along with the company the originally bought them out.
And there were more than usual owners having issues with both their dealer, the company & quality itself, and lack of honoring warranty.
I will say that all manufacturers have good and bad dealers. But once the company was bought out a few years ago, things really went south in a hurry.
Hope they turn it around, as they do have some really cool products. Hell we even installed a donor VC stove, and it was a nice stove.

I got a Olympic 1190 insert and I like it but I really like the style of the Clydesdale better, BUT you can cook with the Olympic and we make really good chilli with it. I would vote to get the biggest insert that will fit as you can make a smaller fire. My house has about 1100 or so st ft and when it has as cold as it has being it has been, I have not even felt it was too hot.

Robert

I have a Clydesdale in the finished basement of my 1600 sq ft ranch. The Clyde heats the basement as much as I want and would do more. I can recommend the Clyde but the surround is only ~30 1/2 inches tall. If you go with the Clyde, you will need to either add something on the top, purchase the extended surround ($250.00) or you may be able to get away with the sideplate extenders for the Clyde ($75). Bottom line, the Clyde will not cover your 32" height in normal configuration.

I got a Olympic 1190 insert and I like it but I really like the style of the Clydesdale better, BUT you can cook with the Olympic and we make really good chilli with it. I would vote to get the biggest insert that will fit as you can make a smaller fire. My house has about 1100 or so st ft and when it has as cold as it has being it has been, I have not even felt it was too hot.

Robert
Bigger is better for sure if it is heat that you are worried about....
List your priorities and go from there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.