Seems a bit counterintuitive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbie1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2007
WESTERN NJ
I've been running the Tarm (Bio Mass) Solo Innova 30 since '08. This unit burns full throttle heating the house or tank(storage). I have observed that if I do not latch the feed door shut, allowing some air into the upper chamber, two things happen:

1) The stack temp. drops 50 degrees.
2) The lower chamber temp. (measured inside the peep hole in the lower door) rises from 3-400 degrees to 7-1200 degrees.
2b) The storage tank heats up much more quickly.

I can understand more O2 = hotter fire, BUT why cooler stack?

Can someone reconcile these seemingly conflicting results?
Thanks.

I've been running the Tarm (Bio Mass) Solo Innova 30 since '08. This unit burns full throttle heating the house or tank(storage). I have observed that if I do not latch the feed door shut, allowing some air into the upper chamber, two things happen:

1) The stack temp. drops 50 degrees.
2) The lower chamber temp. (measured inside the peep hole in the lower door) rises from 3-400 degrees to 7-1200 degrees.
2b) The storage tank heats up much more quickly.

I can understand more O2 = hotter fire, BUT why cooler stack?

Can someone reconcile these seemingly conflicting results?
Thanks.

Ohbie, the Solo Innova has a smoke shelf (to prevent smoke roll-out when loading) and when you open the door, you allow cool room air to go straight through that passageway to the chimney. This dilutes the exhaust gas with cool air thereby lowering exhaust temps even though the burn rate and temps are higher. Best to run it with the door closed.

Reactions: Wickets
Ohbie, the Solo Innova has a smoke shelf (to prevent smoke roll-out when loading) and when you open the door, you allow cool room air to go straight through that passageway to the chimney. This dilutes the exhaust gas with cool air thereby lowering exhaust temps even though the burn rate and temps are higher. Best to run it with the door closed.

Perfect explanation! I do know that passageway but forgot about the connection. Thank you!

Reactions: Chris Hoskin
Status
Not open for further replies.