Seized 4-way auto-mix with an MB-Solo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Drohan

Hi,

We just bought a home with an MB-Solo. I am still not exactly sure which model. It looks like the one in the manual but not the one in the brochure (here).
http://www.woodboilers.com/products/discontinued-boilers.html

In trying to get it up and running I have discovered the 4-way auto mix is seized. I discovered this due to the motor attachment to the front of the valve being very hot. We have removed the motor attachment (reduced the risk of a fire) and have sprayed some WD-40 on the valve daily to try to work it loose.

A four way attachment is being used due to the wood boiler being used in conjunction with a propane boiler and a hydro-hearth in the main level fireplace (it still works). We plan to take the hydro-hearth out in the Spring and switch the 4 way auto mix to a three-way.

My question...the plumber believes that because the auto mix is sharing water between all three lines the boiler is safe to use for the short term...these next few months. While not as efficient it would save some money on propane. If the opportunity of some warm weather comes up before hand we can change out the auto-mix and dead-head the hydrohearth until its removal this summer.

Any thoughts? No one around Warriors Mark PA seems to service these any more. They seem pretty straight forward though.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have to assume you already removed the head and tried to put a vise grips or something on the shaft to move it?

It's a simple piece of plumbing. But fixing things can take time- and time is money. A friend recently found that his was leaking and he's handy so he replaced the O-ring....but it took some advice from here and a couple trips to the store to get the right O-Ring....

Here is that thread - maybe it will give you some hints.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/older-animat-mixing-valve-leaking-at-stem.118132/

Status
Not open for further replies.