Self Cleaning Chimney??? With Pictures!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODplay

Oct 12, 2010
Lower Micigan
This is my first year burning so until I get a hand on how to burn I have been cleaning out my chimney every 5 to 6 weeks. I have a factory built 6†stainless steel chimney. I burn everything from Ash, Oak, & Pine all 1+ years dry. After about 3 weeks from my cleaning on start up, I will start to see creosol / ash pop out all over the snow? I burn Hot anywhere from 400 F to 600 F. When we go to bed I close the air damper all the way. First making sure that the fire is good and hot. I have been told it’s the newspaper so I have not used it and I still get it? I also have been told that it’s normal.

The question here…Is this normal operation? Is it self cleaning? Has anyone seen this?

Have a look at these pics and tell me what you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0207-1.jpg
    IMG_0207-1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0205-1.jpg
    IMG_0205-1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG_0209-1.jpg
    IMG_0209-1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_0210-1.jpg
    IMG_0210-1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_0211-1.jpg
    IMG_0211-1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 958
The top section of my Class A will often have that "paper thin" creosote in it, as it is the farthest from the stove and the most exposed to the elements. I consider it perfectly normal, personally.

Pagey said:
The top section of my Class A will often have that "paper thin" creosote in it, as it is the farthest from the stove and the most exposed to the elements. I consider it perfectly normal, personally.

Thank you for your response

Those little pieces showed up on my front lawn this fall, when I fired up the stove for the first time since last year, prior to a "cleaning."

Not to worry........

-Soupy1957

I see stuff like that once in a while. I have under- and unemployed neighbors. If anything happens at my place when I'm not home I get a call.

So I suspect no chimney fires. I'm guessing it's when some bosy starts a fresh fire from a cold start with some enthusiasm. Since we burn 24/7 that's fairly rare. The small accummulations seem to just dry up and blow away. I get very little out in the Spring.

Enjoy,
Mike

Yes I too see them in the snow. The only part that bothers me about them is the dog tracks them in on the carpet, I know for sure the stove is not going, hmm maybe the dog will.

I have that stuff laying out in the snow too, most of it smaller than that, I have always considered it perfectly normal. Would rather have that than the tar type creosote. Dave.

Normal. No issue or fire danger.

You've heard of fly ash. This is fly farts. No worry. No smell either.

Backwoods Savage said:
You've heard of fly ash. This is fly farts. No worry. No smell either.

Odorless farts what will they think of next? Now that is what I call progress!! lol

Ray

zzr7ky said:
I see stuff like that once in a while. I have under- and unemployed neighbors. If anything happens at my place when I'm not home I get a call.

So I suspect no chimney fires. I'm guessing it's when some bosy starts a fresh fire from a cold start with some enthusiasm. Since we burn 24/7 that's fairly rare. The small accummulations seem to just dry up and blow away. I get very little out in the Spring.

Enjoy,
Mike

Do those same neighbors come over and keep the fire going for ya?????

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.