"self cleaning"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RnG17

Sep 9, 2010
PA
Here is a pic of the bast of my chimney at the clean out door.

First year burning so I'm still learning the phrases and terms, but this is what I see after a month or so of burning 24/7 at the base of the chimney. This wasn't brushed down by my chimney brush, it must be falling off itself?

Good/bad? - Its about 1" deep.

15tu9l.jpg

What you see in the pic. might be only a very small portion of what's actually there.
Stick a mirror in there, and look up the flue and see how clean it is.
If there is nothing more up there, then that Baltic is burning pretty clean.

time to sweep. Exterior masonry chimneys are known for creosote accumulation. The type you have in the bottom of that cleanout is not the "nicest" kind. In other words, that's a lot of fuel in a place you don't want to have it.

Better be safe than sorry and clean it out and get a baseline.

pen

you might also want to consider sealing that door when you are done. Not sure how your draft is.

Just by the pic, would it be safe to say that there is no liner? Not even to the 1st flue tile or at least sealed as all the nasties are at the bottom? Looks like a slammer install. If so....it should be upgraded for safety and better operational purposes.

There is no seal on the door? I'm guessing there either should be or I should do something about it?
- How do I seal the clean out door? Its obviously metal on metal and I new it wasn't "air tight" but never gave it much thought. What can I use to hold up to weather?

Correct there is no liner, besides the obvious clay.

I run the brush down monthly, 1st year jitters. . . . . . but been burning soft maple the last few weeks, doesn't burn hot for very long, possible more build up than normal from this, not sure?

Run a bead of silicone caulk around on the front of the door frame and let it dry to make a gasket. Don't close the door until the caulk dries.

I am familiar with the stuff in your picture- all I can say is sweep. Is this typical buildup you see each month? Or perhaps the maple you are burning is not quite dry.

I agree with the earlier post that you should put a mirror in to take a look, but word of caution, sometimes the mirror does not tell the whole story. If your chimney is a straight shot you will probably get a good view, but if you have any offsets in the chimney, the lighting may not be sufficient to see everything.

Some here have seen the photos from my last cleaning- let's just say I am no longer burning in my exterior clay lined chimney. I will be installing an insulated SS liner this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.