Self install vs pro install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
When I bought my insert earlier this month we'd just paid a small fortune to have a stove installed in my little cabin. I watched the whole thing and it seemed so simple. With the insert the sales lady said over half of the people she sells to do self install - no commentary on whether they do it right.

I chose to self install because I'm reasonably handy, I read/follow directions and it saved $900. Aside from moving the thing around and the awkward angle grinding open the existing damper it was really easy. Two bolts and three screws inside, 6 screws top side. Pulled the insert out to add a blocker plate after reading about their necessity here.

Now I'm reading a ton that says only have a pro do it no matter what. I'm curious, where/how do the self installs usually mess up? Are there things I should check? I don't detect any. Issues but I'm also a newbie.

I'll be going from an insert to a free standing in a month or so. I never even considered having someone else install it.
With the entire fireplace rebuild and stove install, I figure it would have cost $20K or more to have someone else do it.
That's over 3 times as much as it cost me to gut and rebuild 2 bathrooms in the past 2 years.

If it was something that I didn't feel comfortable doing, I would certainly have someone else do it.
And if I did have someone else do it, I'd probably have my head all up in their ash, making sure they didn't cut corners.

The devil is in the details. If you are thorough, capable with tools, have good instructions and follow them then it should be ok. One important step a lot of amateurs and some "pros" omit is cleaning the chimney thoroughly first. That is a critical safety error, especially for an uninsulated liner install. Take your time, use good materials and don't cut corners and you should be ok. Ask questions when you are uncertain of the next step.

I had the luck of installing into an unused chimney :) the only thing I'm not happy with is that my top cap flashing is uneven. I'll redo that when the roof is dry again.

My son and I installed ours. No problem what so ever. I saved about a $1000 bucks by doing it. Got most of my information off of this forum. We cut out damper, insulated liner, put in roxul, installed block off plate, and made a stainless top plate. Took about 7-8 hrs and we made sure no corners were cut.

If you can finds good installer it may be worth it if you don't like heights or can't get a helper. Remember you can just get the labor and buy all of the supplies yourself. While you may not save the same money as a self install you will still end up saving some. I have some quote for 500 to 600 to do the labor only install. If I do this I still save 700.

The biggest issue you have is finding a good installer. Most need to be told what to do very specifically. I can't tell you how may 30 yr experience chimeny guy have told me I dont need a liner, don't need block off plates....etc.

My $.02 about insurance coverage is they want it permitted... if you ask the ins company specifically what they want the they want the permit as they expect pros to pull them.

I installed my stove myself (free standing). It was not that difficult, I took my time and had it done in a few days.

All my insu. co wanted was proof of inspection, they did not care who did the instillation.
No increase in premium either.

My son and I installed ours. No problem what so ever. I saved about a $1000 bucks by doing it. Got most of my information off of this forum. We cut out damper, insulated liner, put in roxul, installed block off plate, and made a stainless top plate. Took about 7-8 hrs and we made sure no corners were cut.

How did the top plate go for you? My kit looks like a mess mostly from me adapting it to the size of my chimney. The one thing I lack is experience in metal work. Although the interior block off plate was easier than I thought it would be.

For what it's worth, I've already done the self install. Just thought I'd check in on things to re-check if any.

Near as I can tell there is no permit required in our municipality. Not sure how insurance would change going from two open fire places to one open one insert ( never use the open)

Called Geico, underwritten by liberty mutual, was told new stove purchase only and professional licensed installs only are covered. So that is how it went down.

I feel more than comfortable doing it myself, but insurance companies will screw you over any which way possible.

At least the 300$ tax credit was still in effect.

Last February I changed out our insert with a free standing stove and did the work myself. I had previously installed two wood stoves, so I had a pretty good idea of the essentials. The main difference with this installation involved the addition of a ss flex liner inside the existing clay tile flue in the existing masonry chimney. My earlier installations both used Class A double wall pipe through the roof. Besides saving some money my main motivation was that I am a stickler for top notch work and that is often difficult to find these days. I had discussed with stove shop where I bought my stove having them do the installation initially, but I could tell I wouldn't be happy with their work. For one thing they didn't want to put in a block off plate, rather they said they just stuff fiberglass insulation around the liner inside the fireplace around the old damper. I knew from my research here at the forum that the block off plate was important, so that in itself was enough to steer me away from their work.

Colophoto, it looks really good. My son is a metal worker. So we made a template out of cardboard then just cut stainless. We bent sides over so it would fit flue better. It's not really a hard job. Just takes some time.

Back in 1985 when I first installed the stoves I called everybody in the county phone book to get them out to inspect. Including the fire department. Nobody was interested. In 2006 when I replaced both of them the kid that came out sat in a chair and got a lesson on chimney liners and NFPA211 and left.

Insurance company said "We insured it with a fireplace in the family room and a flue in the basement.".

I paid to have my stove installed, because of homeowner's insurance questions that could arise with self installed in event of fire.

Same here . . . insurance premium never went up a dime . . . only thing was the insurance company stated that I had to have a pro install it (certified chimney sweep and co-worker in my case), I had to fill out a questionaire and the fire department had to come by to do an inspection before use.

My own opinion . . . if folks are knowledgeable and do not plan to cut corners they can do just as good a job installilng their own liner and stove, if not better in some cases . . . but just be sure that it's OK to do so -- i.e. insurance company, local authority having jurisdiction, etc.

I paid to have my stove installed, because of homeowner's insurance questions that could arise with self installed in event of fire.

I did a self install on mine and the insurance company told me that all was OK since it passed inspection. (I did check with them first before doing anything). And since I installed 2 CO detectors, a fire extinguisher and I am 100 yards from the fire department they were more then happy.

just skimming I don't see a requirement for me to report the change from open to insert for my fireplace - had a fireplace when we got the policy, have a different one now. the only reason I can see is perhaps for the value of the insert. There was no survey of the house insides prior to issuance of the policy. Application asked if we had a fireplace, I said yes. never asked what kind, how old, who put it in, was it inspected....not trying to be devious, but I don't really see a reason that the insurance co needs to know anything differently.

fire extinguisher...if I had a dollar for every time I thought "you need to remember to get one sooner than later" I'd have enough dollars to buy six. doing that this very moment.

I did the self install with the help of some friends. Full liner and few beers. We already had the fireplace, but I still informed my ins agent. He filled out some form and that was it. Now, my premium still goes up every year ( 15% in 2013 ).

I let someone else wrestle with the thing....don't need the backache

Osburn 2400 insert installed by pros. Let me tell you, these guys struggled with this behemoth. I usually do everything in our home, kitchen remodels, bathroom tiling, etc. I figured for once I was watching someone else sweat, and if there is problems, the insurance company can't say anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.