Selkirk Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHJAKE

Nov 14, 2008
Lakes Region , NH
Hi everyone, I just finished a install of a Thru the wall kit & insulated selkirk supervent chimney. The directions don't say weather there needs to be a break-in period or If you can burn normal right away. What would you reccomend. I've got a smal fire going right now.....Just couldn't wait! I"m burning a Waterford Leperchon in green enamle.

The chimney doesn't need a break-in., but the cast iron stove does if it hasn't been burning in a long while. Best to let the small fire die out. Then let the stove cool, then start another slightly bigger fire. Rinse, lather and repeat a couple times, then go for it.

I agree with BeGreen except for the rinse and lather part. :p Rick

OMG, you're not supposed to wash the stones with soap? Isn't that what soapstone is all about?

Thanks for the help. We had just a small fire lst night & let it die out. And I have moderate one going right now, which will go out in a couple of hours becasue we are leaving for the afternoon. Then I figure after that I should be good to go. :cheese:

Hey NHJAKE, Where are you at in the Lakes Region??? I'm in Meredith

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.