Selkirk DCC Pipe Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillier23

Jan 9, 2015
Illinois
Good morning all. I am having one heck of a time getting my stove install complete with the Selkirk DCC model pipe and the issues surrounding it.

First problem: Was the Class A adapter to the stove pipe that is supported by a flat ceiling support. I bought the kit for the flat ceiling, but the adapter does not fit into the base of the support. Called Selkirk and was instructed that the base "should fit" and can be used with the DCC pipe, but has told to order the shorter adapter instead to make the DCC install easier. Ok, did that and waited another two weeks for parts.

Second Problem: This time the adapter fits in the base but the connection to the DCC adjustable pipe is not a tight well made connection. I feel there would have to be smoke spillage into the house if I proceed how the instructions are written. Should I try to grind the edges off the original adapter with the longer section that will insert into the adjustable pipe to make it fit? I think this would lessen the chances of a smoke filled room when it gets to burning season.

Third Issue: Stove Pipe adapter thats been on back order for weeks. Come to find out with the rear exit Ideal Steel stove I have to have a DCC stove adapter to make it work with the DCC model pipe, thats well and good if it was available to be purchased without a lengthy waiting period. Keep in mind I was just made aware of this issue after waiting two weeks for stove pipe, and a connection that would fit into the support that still may not work in the end.

I am venting a bit, but m also looking for any others that have went through the number of hoops that I'm working through to get their stove up and running. Can someone please chime in with thoughts or advice on how I can proceed with this install to FINALLY have this thing finished?

Are the issues I've been having a common occurrence with the Selkirk/Metalbest brands?

Sounds like a battle, that's never any fun. I have Selkirk Metalbest and thought it went fairly well. I'm a contractor by trade but my stove was my first pipe install.
I also had a great local shop working with me from the start to make sure everything was going to work. I think that made a big difference in how smooth it went.
It's a lot nicer product than the supervent I bought from Lowe's for the other stove. If that's any consolation. ...

Thanks for the response, not really making me feel any better though. I have made some progress with the mess since the original post though.

First I found out that the chimney adapter was a known issue with a certain date code, which mine fell into. exchanged that and it now fits in the support as it should.

Second the DCC pipe has to have a smaller diameter pipe on the top piece to allow it to slide over the bottom piece, this makes the DSAC chimney adapter unable to slide into place as it would with a singe wall or straight piece of double wall. The solution is to measure and cut the piece to fit before the pipe narrows down to accept the adjustable bottom portion of the pipe. Mine was 5.5 inches from the bottom of the neck of the chimney adapter. Then use a crimping tool to pull the pipe in an inch and a quarter up to allow it to slide past the narrowed pipe within the DCC.

Third, was the second chimney adapter, the short one that is supposed to work with the DCC pipe. It was crimped too much from the factory and was too loose to produce a good seal from the stove pipe to the chimney pipe. This was confirmed by tech support at Selkirk.

Needless to say, I have not been impressed by this company.

Well at least it sounds like you got some good answers from their support staff.

Here's an update of the DCC pipe and the incompetence of the support at Selkirk. I ordered the 6DCC-SA-BK the last technical support guy instructed me to buy and a new T since mine was damaged trying to fit it originally.

Waited another two weeks for it to show up, today it arrives. The box looks good and has the correct part number on the sticker. Open the box and there is a DCC chimney adapter in the box. No stove adapter to be found, on a positive note the box was the correct one. Talked to a couple people at Selkirk, one was a engineer, that claimed they didn't even make a DCC chimney adapter. I am dumbfounded by this company.

How a company can stay in business operating like this is beyond my comprehension. I can tell you now that had I known the trouble I've had to deal with so far that I would have never bought Selkirk branded products. Not once will they ever get a positive reference from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.