Selkirk DSP paint smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrojoe

Oct 18, 2011
Central Indiana
Anyone else have problems with a recurring paint curing smell with selkirk DSP? I'm going on my second year using it and when I run a full load it inevitably stinks before I shut down to cruise. I don't have a probe thermometer, but I generally start stepping it down around 400 - stovetop. Have never had the it over 700. I'm not real impressed with this product thus far.

Can't say as ours has had a bad odor since the break-in fires, but I'm curious why you blame the pipe and not the stove. How can you tell which one is making the smell?

I think its the pipe because it's only toward the beginning of the burn cycle, when the air is open. After I start shutting down the stove top temps continue up, but the smell goes away. It's not really strong, but I wouldn't expect any smell at this point.

I have the telescoping DSP and have not had any smell from it. It was installed this season and has seen 700+ stove top and 800+ flue probe for short times with nothing noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.