1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Selkirk DSP paint smell

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pyrojoe, Dec 12, 2012.

1. pyrojoe

pyrojoe New Member

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Anyone else have problems with a recurring paint curing smell with selkirk DSP? I'm going on my second year using it and when I run a full load it inevitably stinks before I shut down to cruise. I don't have a probe thermometer, but I generally start stepping it down around 400 - stovetop. Have never had the it over 700. I'm not real impressed with this product thus far.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MaintenanceMan

MaintenanceMan Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Can't say as ours has had a bad odor since the break-in fires, but I'm curious why you blame the pipe and not the stove. How can you tell which one is making the smell?
  3. pyrojoe

pyrojoe New Member

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    I think its the pipe because it's only toward the beginning of the burn cycle, when the air is open. After I start shutting down the stove top temps continue up, but the smell goes away. It's not really strong, but I wouldn't expect any smell at this point.
  4. blwncrewchief

blwncrewchief Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern, IN
    I have the telescoping DSP and have not had any smell from it. It was installed this season and has seen 700+ stove top and 800+ flue probe for short times with nothing noticeable.