Selkirk DSP Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.B.

Oct 1, 2010
MO
I'm trying to finish up the connection on my stove and am running into a little issue with my Selkirk DSP double wall pipe. I bought the Supervent through the wall kit that comes with the chimney pipe adaptor and my instructions say that you can connect DSP directly to this adaptor. Well, the telescopic length of pipe that I'm trying to run from the 90 degree elbow barely slides on the adaptor. And when I say barely, I mean it's only on there an inch or so after banging the hell out of it.

The best I can tell from these directions, the finishing band that is supposed to go on over the telescopic length, should overlap the entire crimped end of the pipe and mine doesn't. It only overlaps an inch or inch and a half of the crimped end. I don't feel like it's a very good connection at all.

Can anyone advise whether or not this is right?

Mine have slid right together, all four of them. Can you post a pic?

This is the adjustable length attaching to the stove pipe adaptor that connects my class A. You can see the finishing band barely covers the crimp. I could probably hammer in on further with a dead blow hammer, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Attachments

• 20141022_181252.jpg
    20141022_181252.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 161
This is my selkirk double wall where it attaches to the stainless.
Sounds similar to what you speak of. All other connections seated the entire length of the crimp but this one is maxed out how you see it.
Works fine and the screws prevent any separation.
20141022_193511.jpg

Yes, that's the adaptor that was included in my kit. Every picture in the instruction manual shows no crimp exposed. The exact wording says "the finishing band must overlap the crimped end of the DSP and the bead to the beveled edge of the chimney pipe adaptor or to the basecap (see figure 1A)"

Figure 1A shows an exploded view of what I just descrbed, but has arrows for what I can only assume is where the finishing band should go. If the band must go where the arrows are, then no crimp can be showing. Then figure 2A on the next page shows all the parts together and clearly there is no crimp visible. Why do these manuals have to be so damn cryptic!

For reference, here is the page from the manual that I'm talking about. Note figure 1A and figure 2A. There is clearly no crimp showing in 2a with everything put together.

Attachments

• Double Wall Stove Pipe (DSP).pdf
    47 KB · Views: 1,714
Any ideas??? I'd like to get a break in fire going this evening. Tried tech support, but I couldn't get anyone on the phone today.

Customer service just got back with me. They think I have a defective adaptor...yay!

This makes 2 defective pieces in this kit. First, it was the top section of pipe that didn't get stamped with any ridges for the twist lock connection. Of course, I didn't notice until I had my rubber boot installed and siliconed. I went to put on the rain cap and it just spun around. Now it looks like a bad chimney pipe adaptor. I will say that selkirk's customer service has been great, but their QC sure seems to be lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.