Selkirk products, what's the difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
Looking at the 8" inch Ultra-Temp, Sure-temp, Super-vent and Super Pro, I am not sure what is the differance??

Thanks,
Nick

Here's a quote from 2010 where customer service was called:

More info - I called Selkirk and here is the skinny:

Supervent (Lowes) is 304 SS inside and 430 SS outside pipe.

Ultra-Temp is 304 SS inside and 430 SS outside pipe.

Superpro is 303 SS inside AND 304 SS outside pipe.

Parts between the Supervent and Superpro are interchangeable, but neither are interchangeable with the Ultra-Temp.

Good info to know.

Bill

After reviewing their website again, it seems to me they are keeping that info to themselves pretty well. Perhaps so they do not have people trying to nit-pick the differences? Or so that a pro seller can try and tout the product he is selling is better than the other brands?

Awful lot of different choices without much info on differences. hmm

After reviewing their website again, it seems to me they are keeping that info to themselves pretty well. Perhaps so they do not have people trying to nit-pick the differences? Or so that a pro seller can try and tout the product he is selling is better than the other brands?

That's what I thought too, especially when I went to buy it. In the end, I went with what my dealer sold and recommended, and used himself.

Super Pro has welded seams, where the other are folded. Super Vent is sold at box stores, like Lowe's and Menard's. Ultra Temp is in between. I have both Super Vent and Ultra Temp. I don't see much of a difference between the two. I like the UT roof flashing and storm collar better, and I like the SV cap, as it twists on like another section of pipe, where the UT cap is clamped on. Saves me from having to find a screwdriver when I go up to brush. Dynamitebuys sells Ultra Temp, and it was really easy to let Sean figure out what I needed, and have it shipped to me. I didn't price out Super Vent, but I don't think I would have saved much. Plus, the closest Menard's is about 45 minutes away, and they don't stock 8" double wall connector pipe.

Reactions: tfdchief and pen
good info, thanks

Super Pro has welded seams, where the other are folded. Super Vent is sold at box stores, like Lowe's and Menard's. Ultra Temp is in between. I have both Super Vent and Ultra Temp. I don't see much of a difference between the two. I like the UT roof flashing and storm collar better, and I like the SV cap, as it twists on like another section of pipe, where the UT cap is clamped on. Saves me from having to find a screwdriver when I go up to brush. Dynamitebuys sells Ultra Temp, and it was really easy to let Sean figure out what I needed, and have it shipped to me. I didn't price out Super Vent, but I don't think I would have saved much. Plus, the closest Menard's is about 45 minutes away, and they don't stock 8" double wall connector pipe.
Thanks for the info. I have Super Pro but the seams look folded to me????? It was purchased in Feb. 2011. Maybe they have changed it.

Thanks for the info. I have Super Pro but the seams look folded to me????? It was purchased in Feb. 2011. Maybe they have changed it.

Nope, your right. It's the Ultimate that's welded. I've never actually seen that stuff.

I'm pretty sure that any of it is going to last as long as me. Or at least as long as I'm living in this house.

Reactions: tfdchief
Thanks for the info guys, I was away for a few days.
Makes me leary of buying from a company that "hides" info on their product.
But Selkirk is the only class A that I found that has a cathedral ceiling "pass through" (not support box).

Nick

Thanks for the info guys, I was away for a few days.
Makes me leary of buying from a company that "hides" info on their product.
But Selkirk is the only class A that I found that has a cathedral ceiling "pass through" (not support box).

Nick
I agree, but it seems many do. Anyway, Selkirk makes good stuff so I wouldn't worry that much. My Regency Hampton stove, IMO, is a high quality, very well built stove, but when I tried to investigate the discrepancies on the label, and in the manual regarding hearth protection, I got nowhere! Still a quality product none the less.

I had to replace a section of my 20 year old Jackes Evans 6" chimney. After a little trial and error, I discovered that Lowes Super-Vent and Selkirk Ultra-Temp match up perfectly with the existing chimney (Shure-Temp does not)

Status
Not open for further replies.