Selkirk sure temp defect ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinktwicez71

Nov 22, 2011
Ogdensburg , NY
I bought all new Selkirk sure temp for my boiler install , and thru wall kit . Of course I just installed it all before noticing this , but there is a pretty big gap on all my pipes on the ends so when u connect all the pipe and look up the chimney at each connection u can see it sticks in the pipe quite noticeably. I think cleaning it would be a pain with a brush , and not to mention the insulation is exposed to the heat and fire . Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not ?

One photo the pipe is close to the outside like I believe it all should be , then the other photo in the bottom right corner of the inside of the pipe u see the gap I'm talking about . I don't think it should be like this .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 231
Much appreciated , I emailed them pictures and a description this morning , I'm hoping they get back to me sometime today , it sure doesn't look right to me I know that , and I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling about it now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just spoke with Jeff from Selkirk technical support , he saw the photos and said its fine and its OK to use and nothing's wrong with it

I'm not sure I buy that - seems to me you shouldn't be looking at the insulation layer on the inside of the pipe - that's a direct path for exhaust to hit.

Did you buy it local? I would take a piece back & show it to them & look at others they have to see what they look like - just doesn't seem right. Too bad more feedback wasn't coming here - must be others out there with this stuff? I put my own stainless chimney up 20 years ago. I don't think it was Selkirk (was a GSW product) - but no way did it have gaps like that.

Trust me I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about this. I'm going to go back to the store and open a few boxes and see what those pieces look like , if they are all like this then OK , worst case scenario I have a documented case and it's got a warranty

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And yes I got it local. I got it from a local building supply place in town , they had prolly 10 more 4 foot pieces there , but the guy is an poophead . Not too many other choices around here tho . It was priced great tho $135 for 4 feet , stainless steel

I really wish more people who have Selkirk chimney pipe could chime in on this , I'm not sure what I should do , for all I know this is Normal , their tech guy sad it's fine tho

I contacted Selkirk again , I asked for another email to send pictures to , they just got back to me and said gaps between the end plate and the pipe like that are perfectly fine .

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Silkirk makes different models, some snap together like yours others twist together. Does the other end of the pipe have a male ish end on it? Pipe should be directional, as in flow only one side.

Mine has a female end and a male end , and mine twist together 1/8 turn and lock together , also has metal bands

Mine is the Selkirk sure temp , same install type as the ultra temp

And the pipe through the wall is arrowhead outside and the tee is pointing up and all the chi,neympipe arrows are up

So you are good, no? the male end inserts into the female end as you are saying. Thus pushing the protruding piece in, making a snug smooth fit.

No smooth fit , the inner pipe extended inside about 3/8" , I've called and talked multiple times to Selkirk and even emailed them pictures , the newest response was .............""""Below is response from Tech:

These systems only work when they have an internal pressure below atmospheric pressure. That creates a vacuum inside of the chimney pipe. Air would leak into the chimney pipe not smoke leaking out. There is no issue with creosote building up at the joints.

Melissa Gomez
Retail Customer Service
P. 800.252.8467
F 888.252.6444

5030 Corporate Exchange Blvd SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
hartandcooleyinc.com """""
JCI_4c_300dpi

HartandCooley_confident
cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected]

cid:[email protected]
cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected] cid:[email protected]
Find us on: cid:[email protected] I cid:[email protected]

By the way , when I was in lowes tonight I opened a box of the Selkirk supervent and it looked like mine . I know I have the Selkirk sure temp , but wanted to see if it had same gaps on the end of the pipe , and insulation showing , so I'll just use it and if I have a problem I have a warranty and emails I printed off as proof I thought there was a problem in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.