Selkirk Wall Thimble is too deep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deryk

Jun 3, 2017
Gouldsboro Pa
Hello folks!

Just cut the inside hole through the wall to start the installation of my chimney and wood stove pipes and when I slid the wall thimble piece into the hole, it's about an inch and a half too deep. Do I trim the 2 thimble pieces to fit or do I mount on the outside of the cabin some pressure treated wood around the perimeter of the mounting plate and lagbolt it to the cabin?

thanks
deryk

Either approach would work, though I'd probably just trim it down a little. The Selkirk thimble covers 6" to 10" thick walls IIRC.

Reactions: Deryk
the outside plywood was a bit thicker then I guessed. I got it down to 3/4" space and happened to have a few pickets left from finishing my deck 2 weeks ago...the spacing was almost perfect fit. Still have to calk around it and I definitely need spacers for the wall support. The Pipe that passes through the wall is 12" and adjusted back as far as I could it's still needs a spacer around 1.5" so off to the tablesaw!

It's mostly done... still have some work left...but when i went up on the roof to put the last section of chimney pipe with the chimney cap in place on it, started rolling off the roof, i grabbed the cap to stop it, and well the sheet metal is real sharp... so i leaked a lot of dna out lol...but stopped it from going over the edge and was able to get it in place. Finish it up another day.

Ouch! Always a good idea to wear gloves when working with metal.

Reactions: Deryk
I grabbed the cap to stop it, and well the sheet metal is real sharp... so i leaked a lot of dna out lol....

That's OK, blood comes with a lifetime unlimited warranty to the original owner. This includes loss or theft so it will be replaced in full at no expense to you.

Reactions: bcrtops and Deryk
lol... yeah I should have worn gloves probably... was doing fine till the pipe wanted to roll off the roof. Well feeling like a 1 handed paper hanger today. Need to buy a new box of vinyl gloves (used the last pair on thursday) I planned on cutting a few slate tiles today and thin setting them in place... not gonna happen want to keep the hand clean. I did calk around thimble with high temp silicone calk just to keep out the rain and all since it rains here a fair amount. The stove is sitting in it's place in my living room and it looks nice...yeah takes up a fair amount of space but not so bad. Will get pictures up eventually.