Selkirk Wall Thumble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cham1733

Jun 25, 2014
Hi, I tried searching for this but didn't find any answers. I bought a 6" Selkirk Insulated Wall Thimble and looking at it it looks like the one piece of insulation inside the thimble would be resting on our double wall chimney pipe if I kept it there. I just want to get clarification on if this is ok if the insulation is touching the chimney pipe or should I just remove this section. See below if you look in the inside of the thimble there is the piece of insulation.

metalbest_6tiwt_black.jpg

I am guessing it is OK. Otherwise how are you supposed to connect it to ANY kind of stove pipe? It may be vermiculite which is very heat resistant and used to insulate liners.

Andrew

What do the instructions say? Are you using selkirk pipe that is designed to work with that part? If so the instructions should tell you what to do. I don't use selkirk stuff so i cant help you on that particular part but everything is usually spelled out fairly well in most instructions

I believe mine rests on the thimble not the pipe. It was over a year ago but that's how I recall it going in.

Too hot to pull it apart and look right now....

What do the instructions say? Are you using selkirk pipe that is designed to work with that part? If so the instructions should tell you what to do. I don't use selkirk stuff so i cant help you on that particular part but everything is usually spelled out fairly well in most instructions

All the instructions said to do was pull the thimble apart and put one piece through the inner wall and one through the outer wall so they connect together. Everywhere I have read says that you need 2" of air space around the chimney pipe and with the insulation on the inside of the thimble I would think that would be a problem. However, I have very limited experience with this so I am not sure.

That is identical to what I installed. I consulted the dealer with that question and was told the insulation is a nonflamable material. Ask your dealer they should be able to answer your questions.

www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=1620
is a pdf file explaining the insulation (it is a rockwool type that can be in contact with heat)

Without any insulation you'd basically just have an open conduit to the outdoors covered only by sheet metal and may well also have condensation issues.

In a cold climate one can also take the option to install a full blanket of the specific insulation within the thimble.

(Here is another version of the information: www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=1628 it's an older revision that shows an alternate installation method)

Last edited:
Just checked mine. It's selkirk metal best pipe. The pipe is about 8" od. The insulation rests on the chase so the Id. Of the hole in the insulation is about 10" id.

Nothing other than the metal parts contact the stainless pipe with the set up I have.

I'm not familiar with the insulated thimble. We install America-vent, the same company as Sel-Kirk. Our thimbles have no insulation. But, they offer an insulation blanket that can be placed inside the cathedral ceiling support, or an attic insulation shield. So, it's a common idea with this company. If it's provided, use it.

Thanks for your help everyone. I was a bit nervous but it seems that it should be fine. I doubled checked with Selkirk and they verified basically what was said above.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.