Selling kindlin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
My 125 year old barn is falling down. I have been salvaging anything that is worth the effort. I have all the 8x8" cedar beams that have never seen paint or white wash. This fall I cut some into 1 foot lengths and ran it thru the splitter to get 1 inch square by 1 foot long pieces for kindling. Even though the cedar is that old they still have enough pitch in them that they burn long and really hot. I know most of you here use super cedars or fatwood or just plain twigs but if you were of the mind to buy kindling would you buy something like this?
IMG_1882 (2).jpg

If so, how would you like to see it packaged and in what amounts? This is just kind of a hypothetical question I guess but I have enough of this to last me 20 lifetimes. I also wouldn't have any idea as to price but from some of the CL adds I see for wood it otta be worth something. There's no market around here for old barn beams it seems and there is just enough nails in most of them to make milling for lumber out of the question. Just askin. It's been a long cold winter and to much time to think about stupid stuff.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
i would try again to sell the old beams before i cut them up

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just my 2c, kindling and fire starter are 2 different things, this is
More like the logs that they sell at gas stations etc. kindling I would think be cheaper than dried splits,
So I say a nice 5-7 pound bundle for 3-5$

I would start with an old photo of the barn. Part of the package design. Like the smoking chips for hickory wood or apple wood. Maybe an old woodcut design.
bundles in burlap bags or netting. 1-3 pound bags.
Saying for every dollar spent 5¢ of your money goes to the Dutch Barn historical preservation society...
People love that stuff. Sell the bags on etsy.

I would start with an old photo of the barn. Part of the package design. Like the smoking chips for hickory wood or apple wood. Maybe an old woodcut design.
Saying for every dollar spent 5¢ of your money goes to the Dutch Barn historical preservation society...
Good ideas.....

Reactions: Applesister
Why, it's "Barn Burner" kindling, the best kindling in the world!

Reactions: Soundchasm

. . . just remember to form the Dutch Barn Historical Preservation Society with you as President and Treasurer before you start selling. ;) :)

Reactions: Butcher
I'd keep enough kindling for my own use then stop cutting. You could then either sell the beams or use them yourself for some project.

For sure that is some prime kindling!

I'd keep enough kindling for my own use then stop cutting. You could then either sell the beams or use them yourself for some project.

For sure that is some prime kindling!
You can be sure I keep enough for myself. Crate it up and store in the pole shed. I actually give away about 10 crates full of the stuff every year to friends and family.
IMG_1885 (2).jpg

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Status
Not open for further replies.