selling vermont castings encore 2550. what is a fair price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willis

Dec 19, 2010
northwest indiana
i'm selling an encore model 2550 that is about 10 years old. it needs about $300 in parts but it is a solid stove. i plan on listing it on craigs list but i'm not sure what the stove is worth. can you guys give me an idea? thanks, mark

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,900
I sold my one year old 2550 for 50% of what I paid.

Your stove, with $300 needed in parts....and the know how to fix it, 10 years old, is not worth much, in my opinion. My first question would be....what parts?

$250 - $300 is my guess.

Tell them what it needs to fix it to make it operable.
Make offer. You wont feel guilty. :down:

Id guess 400-500 bucks. Those warming shelves were an extra, so there is a little value there. Really, with 300 bucks in parts for $800 total investment and days worth of swearing and getting dirty, that would be a good stove for the money.

Hmmm being solid and needing $300.00 IN PARTS is a contradiction in terms... Good luck with that one..

Ray

raybonz said:
Hmmm being solid and needing $300.00 IN PARTS is a contradiction in terms... Good luck with that one..

Ray

Not for a VC. The refractory assembly can cost that much. Or the cat. If it is truly $300 (which means it doesn't need the Refractory assembly AND the cat) then $500 should offer a relatively quick sell, I would think. You can probably list it for as much as $1000, but be prepared to haggle.

VC needs to get their sh!t together on their Cat parts and design. Those clowns are costing themselves tons of sales due to this.

Had a VC Defiant Encore that was in decent shape except for needing new refractory package in the cat area and a new cat element. Tried to give it away free if somebody would just come and get it. No takers.

raybonz said:

Ray

Wrong, can be a solid stove. Its as much a contradiction in terms as "Solid car, just needs plugs and brake pads"
-1 internet for you

Franks said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Wrong, can be a solid stove. Its as much a contradiction in terms as "Solid car, just needs plugs and brake pads"
-1 internet for you

I'd be hesitant to buy a stove that needed $300.00 in parts.. I'd be glad to pay $300.00 more and get a burn ready stove.. That's just my preference no insult intended to anyone..

Ray

raybonz said:
Franks said:
raybonz said:

Ray

-1 internet for you

I'd be hesitant to buy a stove that needed $300.00 in parts.. I'd be glad to pay $300.00 more and get a burn ready stove.. That's just my preference no insult intended to anyone..

Ray

$300 dollars in parts like:
Refractory Package Item# 9550
Catalytic Combustor Item# 9571
Dutchwest Stove Gasket Kit
Total cost: $320

Status
Not open for further replies.