Selling Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I sell some firewood every year. (about 4-5 cords) I sell it 1/2 cord at a time. Since my piles are not uniform size, I measure it in the truck. In order to do this I pack it very tight. So, after I'm done stacking it for the buyer, it appears to be quite a bit more than a 1/2 cord. Customer is happy. I'm happy, I think. It got me wondering which was the accurate measurement... In the truck, or on the rack. Wood on the rack is more loosely stacked. If I were buying wood and my delivered stack measured a 1/2 cord, I'd be content. Of course, I'd be real happy if I was getting 1/2 cord + 10% more.

I sell some firewood every year. (about 4-5 cords) I sell it 1/2 cord at a time. Since my piles are not uniform size, I measure it in the truck. In order to do this I pack it very tight. So, after I'm done stacking it for the buyer, it appears to be quite a bit more than a 1/2 cord. Customer is happy. I'm happy, I think. It got me wondering which was the accurate measurement... In the truck, or on the rack. Wood on the rack is more loosely stacked. If I were buying wood and my delivered stack measured a 1/2 cord, I'd be content. Of course, I'd be real happy if I was getting 1/2 cord + 10% more.

You could measure the bed of your truck and figure out the cubic feet of wood you are packing in there.

Honestly, if I were to purchase just half a cord of wood and it was more than one pallet stacked 4 ft. high I'd be very happy.

The cord calculators work well for this, located at the top of the woodshed. I measured my truck bed to help a friend out, and I can fit a 1/2 cord in there a few inches below the rails, level 8ft bed

It is really simple to figure how much wood you have. In my humble opinion, you are doing right. Even if you give them a tad over what you quoted, it is much better to have a satisfied customer than to deliver wood and right away they think they got taken. Another little touch is that most times when we sell wood, we also through in some free kindling wood and a couple Super Cedars.

Reactions: firefighterjake
leftyscott. If I am not being to nosey. How much does a half a cord go for in you location? What type of wood are you selling. Just curious. Sounds like you are giving your customers a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.