Senseless testosterone filled picture thread,post "your current version hot rod"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about getting back on the water all summer.
While researching on the net I came across one old guy who used an old sailboat (fairly cheap item) to cruise the Mississippi.
I then found another fella who was the Commadore of his yaht club in Canada who used a sailboat for cruising there.
The idea is that you can get a decent boat, remove the mast, install a new or newer Honda type 9.8hp 4-stroke (super quiet) and cruise all day on a gallon of gas. Canal cruising is usually limited to 10mph so who needs an ego engine that measures fuel consumption in gallons/hour?
That sounded pretty darn green (cheap) to me so I started looking with a serious hesitation regarding headroom in the cabin of a sailboat.
I just found and bought a 23' O'Day pop-top for $500. The entire cabin raises to give 6'4" of head room in the cabin.
If I get tired of canal cruising I'll hinge and reinstall the mast and have a little sailing trawler type looking thingy.
Here are some representative pics but mine will have solid walls with massive windows instead of the canvas.

Attachments

• wise eyes 2.jpg
    wise eyes 2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 288
  • wise eyes 1.jpg
    wise eyes 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 294
kenny chaos said:
I was thinking about getting back on the water all summer.
While researching on the net I came across one old guy who used an old sailboat (fairly cheap item) to cruise the Mississippi.
I then found another fella who was the Commadore of his yaht club in Canada who used a sailboat for cruising there.
The idea is that you can get a decent boat, remove the mast, install a new or newer Honda type 9.8hp 4-stroke (super quiet) and cruise all day on a gallon of gas. Canal cruising is usually limited to 10mph so who needs an ego engine that measures fuel consumption in gallons/hour?
That sounded pretty darn green (cheap) to me so I started looking with a serious hesitation regarding headroom in the cabin of a sailboat.
I just found and bought a 23' O'Day pop-top for $500. The entire cabin raises to give 6'4" of head room in the cabin.
If I get tired of canal cruising I'll hinge and reinstall the mast and have a little sailing trawler type looking thingy.
Here are some representative pics but mine will have solid walls with massive windows instead of the canvas.

Well if you've been thinking about it and have the means I would do it. I don't care if it's a raft, cruiser, Kayak or jet boat being on the water is what it's all about. A friend of mine took his Blow boat up the Mississippi and ended up in Nevis (bought a house there) Took a year and a half off to do this. I loved hearing the stories and always wished I could do something similar.

Be careful on the "Ego engine" comment I'm happily married and we both enjoy the wind, noise and speed. I don't wear gold chains and she does not have paid for boobs! It's just something we like. BTW now that I'm thinking about it paid for boobs may not be a bad idea :gulp:

Do you think a 9.8hp engine pushing all that weight will really run all day on a gallon or more like a gallon a hour? Just curious I honestly don't no what the fuel consumption figures are.

OK enough of this and back to the Testosterone! Add a blower to that 9.8 and let her rip :coolgrin:

Mandoo said:
[quote author722278"].

Be careful on the "Ego engine" comment I'm happily married and we both enjoy the wind, noise and speed. I don't wear gold chains and she does not have paid for boobs! It's just something we like. BTW now that I'm thinking about it paid for boobs may not be a bad idea :gulp:

Do you think a 9.8hp engine pushing all that weight will really run all day on a gallon or more like a gallon a hour? Just curious I honestly don't no what the fuel consumption figures are.
n:[/quote]

Mr. Mandoo-
The "ego engine" comment was more for building my ego than knocking down someone else's.
I'll let you know for sure next year but everything I read indicates 1-2 gallons/day.
FYI the boat is 3100 lbs..

Mandoo said:
Do you think a 9.8hp engine pushing all that weight will really run all day on a gallon or more like a gallon a hour?

Taking it one step farther, I don't think that amount of HP on that much weight would be able to properly control the boat?? Don't know, I'm not a sail boat guy. I'm a fishing boat guy, I want about 1hp for every 12 pounds of weight. :cheese:

Mandoo said:
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves I thought this Forum was about being "green" and the support of conserving fossil fuel!

I am getting 8 cylinder power/performance from a 6 cylinder engine :) Now that's conserving IMO!

fossil said:
Need to see a pic from the stern. Looks to be ~36', maybe 10 tons or so, but the lens is deceiving, of course...Triple axle trailer. Where do you race it? Lakes, I assume, unless you drag it all the way from Ohio to the ocean. Been a boat guy all my life, in one way or another...until I retired from the Navy. No more boats for me, but I still really like scoping out other folks' boats. She's a beauty...but I still wanna know what's under her hood and what you do with her. Rick

We use it mainly on Lake Erie around Sandusky and the Island area it actually stays on a lift at Cedar Point. This is not a race boat it's set up for pleasure and is now way out classed by speed and power. It has Merc 500HP carb engines built on 502 blocks. They are now closer to 550HP (cam and head changes) The boat is 38 feet long and weighs about 9k dry. It's best speed was 83mph under perfect conditions and able to hit 80 under almost any condition (weight and air temp)

It was made by Powerquest boats in Holland Michigan and was quite the Underdog for it's era. They are no longer in business.

That's about it, Thanks for asking and on a side note were anxious for our sons homecoming from the Navy in the spring.

The pictures are from my phone so they could be better.

Attachments

• Boating 006 [800x600].jpg
    Boating 006 [800x600].jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG00006 [800x600].jpg
    IMG00006 [800x600].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG00048 [800x600].jpg
    IMG00048 [800x600].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 343
Jags said:
Mandoo said:
Do you think a 9.8hp engine pushing all that weight will really run all day on a gallon or more like a gallon a hour?

Taking it one step farther, I don't think that amount of HP on that much weight would be able to properly control the boat?? Don't know, I'm not a sail boat guy. I'm a fishing boat guy, I want about 1hp for every 12 pounds of weight. :cheese:

They seem to cut through the water like a knife. You would be surprised just how much control they have while under power. Most have little outboards or very small engines spinning a small prop very slow.

Jags said:
Mandoo said:

Actually, I was told that a 6.5hp-8hp would be better because they would need to be run at a higher and more engine friendly rpm.

I wouldn't expect much help from all the over achievers on this forum. Perhaps if it was nuclear powered? :lol:

Just a belly button Mustang with a 351w stroked to 410 ci, aluminum heads, solid cam, nitrous, c4 trans with a full reverse manual valve body with a brake, full roll cage blah blah blah.

Best nitrous feed ET 9.4x@143mph
Best n/a pass 10.3x@130

Since buying a house and having a kid I haven't played with it much, plus this wood addiction is really cutting into my free time. :)

Attachments

• _YOK9986.jpg
    _YOK9986.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 311
  • YOK9821.jpeg
    YOK9821.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 315
  • coupe.jpg
    coupe.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 301
fossil said:
'36 Ford pickup. All original when I got it. The Dearborn-type restoration zealots would shoot me for what I've done to the chassis. Hope I can finish it before I'm too old to drive it. %-P Rick

Awesome! Can't wait to see it complete! I'm working with my dad on restoring his 67 chevelle right now, we "might" get paint on it this year.

sullystull said:
...What...my bike didn't count?

What bike? That's not a bike. This is a bike. Yours doesn't make any obnoxious noise. %-P Rick

Attachments

• Respect.jpg
    Respect.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 303
fossil said:
sullystull said:
...What...my bike didn't count?

What bike? That's not a bike. This is a bike. Yours doesn't make any obnoxious noise. %-P Rick

Nice Honda

{ducks and runs out of office}

Jags said:
Nice Honda...

Yeah, well, I really like that '73 Celica of yours, too, shipmate. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Jags said:
Nice Honda...

Yeah, well, I really like that '73 Celica of yours, too, shipmate. %-P Rick

Baaahaaa ha! :lol:

What year is that scooter??

Jags said:

'02 H-D Softail Deuce. Engine's stock. Screamin' Eagle exhaust, Mikuni 42mm carb, a few other little cosmetic doodads here & there. Gets me around when I'm in the mood and the weather's right. I like it. I'm a cruiser, by no means a racer. Rick

fossil said:
Jags said:

'02 H-D Softail Deuce. Engine's stock. Screamin' Eagle exhaust, Mikuni 42mm carb, a few other little cosmetic doodads here & there. Gets me around when I'm in the mood and the weather's right. I like it. I'm a cruiser, by no means a racer. Rick

Sweet ride. I like the color.

Edit: those 42mm Miks aren't the square ones are they?

rdust said:
Just a belly button Mustang with a 351w stroked to 410 ci, aluminum heads, solid cam, nitrous, c4 trans with a full reverse manual valve body with a brake, full roll cage blah blah blah.

Best nitrous feed ET 9.4x@143mph
Best n/a pass 10.3x@130

Since buying a house and having a kid I haven't played with it much, plus this wood addiction is really cutting into my free time. :)

Some friends of mine and I went to the track with a car just about like that. Stroked 351 to 400" plus, C4 and caged. No juice and on the first run it ran a 11.26. It only ran one pass as he put on some race alternator with a huge 7" pulley and I do not think it ever saw enough RPM to trigger it to charge (had to see something like 7K before exciting but with the big pulley it never saw that). So he could not chance any more runs as the battery would not stay charged up. It needs more track time but will clearly go into the 10s

The car is called JunkYard dog. It was a former 4 cyl. model.

PIC00023.jpg

Horse power :)

Mega Horse Power

08_28_8.jpg

The only vehicle I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.