Sentimental attachment to burning wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
As some may know, I am in the process of selling my house.
No problems here, just want to be closer to my family,
and I am sitting on a ton of equity, even with the declining market.
I will most likely be in a better position by selling this house.

(#1)The 2 story house 3 br/1.5 bath full basement that I am interested in does not have a fireplace for an insert or a woodstove. I know I could put one in..

House #2 - 3br/2 ba ranch, does have a fireplace, fairly open layout. Cement crawlspace, 2 car detached garage. I know an insert would work.

I did not think that this "lifestyle" would have an impact on future purchase of a home.

What would you do?

I'd buy the property that had the most overall going for it for the life I wanted to live...location, lot size, traffic, noise, proximity to things I want to be near, distance from things I don't want to be near. A wood burning appliance can always be retrofitted. I wouldn't make it one of my primary decision points. I'd get the house I wanted where I wanted it on the property where I'd be happy, then go from there. Rick

What Rick said. But... maybe factor in the land & its ability to yield free wood, stacking/storage... Just sayin'... ;)

Agreed - buy the house for location, property, etc. You can always add a fireplace /stove at a later date...which will most likely help the house appreciate in value. There may be a very few houses/designs that would be very hard to add a stove to, but other than that - I'd almost rather install it myself, that way it would be exactly what I want versus trying to retrofit what was built with the house.

I'm with the "buy the house/location add the stove later if needed" vote. However, I agree with Ed - do consider where you will be storing your wood at least. You know you will very likely be wanting it so better have a yard to put it in that you can get to. I'm finding that my back yard with the rather steep hill isn't going to be fun to climb or push a wheelbarrow up during the winters to come... (even if it does save on flood insurance).

Slow1 said:
I'm finding that my back yard with the rather steep hill isn't going to be fun to climb or push a wheelbarrow up during the winters to come... (even if it does save on flood insurance).

Need a winch at the top of the hill ;) Send pics when you build it.

Slow1 said:
I'm with the "buy the house/location add the stove later if needed" vote. However, I agree with Ed - do consider where you will be storing your wood at least. You know you will very likely be wanting it so better have a yard to put it in that you can get to. I'm finding that my back yard with the rather steep hill isn't going to be fun to climb or push a wheelbarrow up during the winters to come... (even if it does save on flood insurance).

Small trailer to hook behind your lawn mower or atv makes for easy work in those conditions.

Backwoods Savage said:
Small trailer to hook behind your lawn mower or atv makes for easy work in those conditions.

Until it snows. After the first snow fall I found that even the slightest incline makes my tractor useless.

Guess I should have gotten a large enough yard to justify a riding lawn mower and an ATV then eh? So consider that too njtomatoguy when you look to buy your house! :)

And here the realtors say it's all about location, location, location... it's really about wood, burning, and toys!

Heem said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Until it snows. After the first snow fall I found that even the slightest incline makes my tractor useless.

You can get some tire chains for it really cheap.

Ah yes, but who does that wood belong to? One can't just go cutting wood wherever he finds it. Somebody owns those trees.

I agree with the other posts that there are far more important factors than the suitability for wood burning.

That said it would be on the list if I ever move again, and if two houses had equal appeal except one had a fireplace and a floor plan conducive to heating with wood and the other didn't, I'd surely use that to break a tie.

Hamilton Square is only 35 or so miles from Maple Shade...is that distance really worth going through the hassle of moving?

I'm only familiar with the Maple Shade area because we use to commit a lot of crimes there thanks to the proximity of all the major highways.

Yet another reason I'm leaving.

Mom doesn't drive the highway, just around town.
My parents are 60 and 64, so I would like to be closer to help them out.,

I was only joking about the crime thing...

...I use to belong the the new jersey health and fitness club right on 73 in Maple Shade...great place that opens way before 0dark30.

Well if you have to help the folks out then that's that...I wouldn't give wood another thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.