"Separating coals from ash" - Hijacked from another thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
Hey Gang,

So the title quote is from another thread that I was just reading (the one about the Coal pan usage), and that made me think about what happend last night and therefore I need you to wade in with some insight.

I run a VC Encore (CAT) 2550, 25' 6" flue coming from a 'T' out the back of the unit, and have been burning nightly for the last week. I have not poked the remainder ash through the grate and into the pan underneath the unit. I have only been empting what naturally falls through the grate. This fall through hasn't been much. Therefore I have had a hugh (ok 2.5-3.5", maybe more) ash build up. Last night I lit it with 4 splits, and 30minutes before I went to bed put another 4 splits on (of Ash the wood). The wood lit up, CAT engaged, choked air back to just less than a third (a couple of nights ago it was down so low the stove was producing muffled explosions and puffs of smoke would appear and I got to thinking about what I had read here and increased the airflow, problem solved) and went to sleep at 10pm. This morning 7.30 I come down stairs and the stove top thermometer said 250 and there was still small (real small) flames and a lot of hot glowing coals. This afternoon when I came home the temp was 150 on the stove top. I couldn't believe that it was still so hot. I confirmed it with the IR and my hand. Sure as eggs it was 150.

So here is my question. Does a 'long overnight burn' depend on the amount of ash at the bottom of the stove? (my theory being that the ash provides insulation) Admittedly, with all this ash at the bottom of the stove it takes a while to fire up.

Please, your thoughts and opinions

Thanks

Ray

Sorry, wrong forum, I don't know how to move it.

I have found in my 1553 that if I keep the ash pan clean I go threw a lot more wood.. I don't let it get to full but some ash helps me a lot..What I do before bed is clean the pan then shake all the ash out of the stove. Once that is done I load for bear and let burn for 15 or 20 min before closing the dampers down.. I think this ole stove it far to drafty anyway and this just helps plug a leak....

Not sure on your stove, but I have found that most stoves burn better with ash on the bottom. I don't use the ash cleanout deal on my Blaze King. I just wait until the ask is close to level with teh door (6-8" deep) and then I shovel it out... seems to be about once a month or so.

The more ashes in the bottom of the stove, the longer your coals will stay hot...you are correct in that the ash acts as an insulator. I can't empty my ash pans unless the stove is pretty much out and cold because I have to open the front doors fully and anything burning sends a big plume of smoke into the living room. I usually just let it get pretty low near the end of the afternoon (when I get the most direct sun in my living room) and shovel as many coals to the front of the firebox as I can, take out as muhc ash as I can get al, move the coals to the back of the firebox and get the ashes in front. Level out the coals and toss some wood in.

I find I have to do this every 3-5 days in the dead of winter...depends on what I'm tossing in there. Some hard maple will make enough ash that I have to empty it every 2-3 days or its spilling out the door and I can't shove enough wood in there for an overnight burn...alot of beech or birch and it goes alot longer between shovelings, closer to the 5 day mark I'd say.

I would not call 2.5-3.5" of ash a huge ash build up. I'd call that a nice one. I think this is perhaps how some folks make their mistake is thinking they have to get rid of those ashes. Those ashes can be your friend.

btw, last night I put 4 splits in the stove (3 small and 1 medium size white ash) at 9:00. There was a good ash bed and coal bed. Ended up a late night so got up late this morning. At 8:00 I put more wood in the stove. House was still very comfortable. Temperature outdoors in high 20's. I do remember looking at the thermometer when I did go to bed and it was 525 stove top.

rayza said:
Hey Gang,

So the title quote is from another thread that I was just reading (the one about the Coal pan usage), and that made me think about what happend last night and therefore I need you to wade in with some insight.

I run a VC Encore (CAT) 2550, 25' 6" flue coming from a 'T' out the back of the unit, and have been burning nightly for the last week. I have not poked the remainder ash through the grate and into the pan underneath the unit. I have only been empting what naturally falls through the grate. This fall through hasn't been much. Therefore I have had a hugh (ok 2.5-3.5", maybe more) ash build up. Last night I lit it with 4 splits, and 30minutes before I went to bed put another 4 splits on (of Ash the wood). The wood lit up, CAT engaged, choked air back to just less than a third (a couple of nights ago it was down so low the stove was producing muffled explosions and puffs of smoke would appear and I got to thinking about what I had read here and increased the airflow, problem solved) and went to sleep at 10pm. This morning 7.30 I come down stairs and the stove top thermometer said 250 and there was still small (real small) flames and a lot of hot glowing coals. This afternoon when I came home the temp was 150 on the stove top. I couldn't believe that it was still so hot. I confirmed it with the IR and my hand. Sure as eggs it was 150.

So here is my question. Does a 'long overnight burn' depend on the amount of ash at the bottom of the stove? (my theory being that the ash provides insulation) Admittedly, with all this ash at the bottom of the stove it takes a while to fire up.Please, your thoughts and opinions

Thanks

Ray

Sorry, wrong forum, I don't know how to move it.

Yes . . . you really want a layer of ash in the firebox . . . it helps insulate the coals and preserves them . . . and of course the coals provide quite a bit of usable heat so the longer you can preserve them the better off you are.

Moved to the Hearth Forum.

I coordinate my ash removal with the outside temps. When it's colder out, I take more ashes out so that I get more heat from the stove. I use a home-made combination ash hoe/coal rake to separate the ash from the coals.

Sure, a deep bed af ash holds coals but in so doing, it releases less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.