SEPTIC OWNERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
I don't have a lint filter, have never seen one. Seems like a great way to flood your laundry room with wash water when that thing clogs. Our old gravity sepitc tank is equipped with an outlet filter which I highly recommend for anyone.

My Gma alwasy took a leg of painty hose and would tie it to the end of the pipe that went in the the slop sink. It would catch the lint and not clog the sink. I still do it to this day
Anna Maire

WhitePine said:
BucksCounty said:
Ours dumps into the septic. Home inspector told us to get lint traps to prevent clogging leach field. We were home (luckily) when the drain began overflowing after only 2 months. Previous owners had a lot of work done on leach fields prior to us buying house, so I want to keep the lint out. Amazing how much lint is caught in the traps...we do average of 3 loads a week.

I have been thinking of installing a lint trap/filter on our washer drain. What kind of lint trap do you have? Are you satisfied with it?

Yes, satisfied with them. Packs of 2 from home depot. They are a wire mesh. They are about $2-3 for a pack.

Nic36 said:
Mine doesn't go to the septic tank. It's on a separate line that runs down into the woods and drains onto the ground.

+1. In my case I have a huge Willow and a row of young White Spruce trees that drink as much as they can get.

Nic36 said:
Mine doesn't go to the septic tank. It's on a separate line that runs down into the woods and drains onto the ground.

;-)

i've heard that if you use your septic for washing machine discharge, you are better off using liquid laundry soap in stead of the powdered variety. better for your septic longevity
personally, where we have a septic, the laundry is plumbed "differently" so it will not go into the septic. it has its own tank--drywell variety.

Lint is one of the biggest killers, as well as bleach. Soaps at least the high concentrations like laundry soaps are now biodegradable. Other things like blood thinners are know to cause a visqueen seal on the leach lines. Coumadin (sp) is know to cause issues. Bleach kills the good bacteria. I had a clog that turned out to be before the tank and I had to auger it out. When you are elbow deep in you know what, you tend to research how not to be in that position again! :lol:

Never gave the washer that much thought really. Do about a load, sometimes 2 a week though, so don't think it would be all that bad. The main thing is not to use certain TP, like Charmin.

I have a new septic system since late November, December...

everything runs in the same place 1250 gallon tank to a distribution box and 500 ft of tile.. with a perimetter drain around the whole thing and 1/4 mile down the road to the creek...

cost a lot of money.. I bet it wont clog up

the old one I replaces was a 500 gallon tanks with a field tile that ran to who knows where.
Only had to unclog one time. (probably lint from the washer collected in an 90). worked like a champ after that..

also used only scotts toilet paper after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.