1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

SEPTIC OWNERS

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by FORCE FAB, Feb 14, 2011.

1. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    Been dumping everythiing except grease into ours since 92 and have had no issues and it's never been pumped........

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AilleXWest

AilleXWest New Member

Loc:
    Clinton Corners, NY
    My Gma alwasy took a leg of painty hose and would tie it to the end of the pipe that went in the the slop sink. It would catch the lint and not clog the sink. I still do it to this day
    Anna Maire
  3. BucksCounty

BucksCounty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Yes, satisfied with them. Packs of 2 from home depot. They are a wire mesh. They are about $2-3 for a pack.
  4. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Thanks Bucks. I'll take a look at them next time I'm there.
  5. mainstation

mainstation Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.Ont.
    +1. In my case I have a huge Willow and a row of young White Spruce trees that drink as much as they can get.
  6. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.

;-)
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    i've heard that if you use your septic for washing machine discharge, you are better off using liquid laundry soap in stead of the powdered variety. better for your septic longevity
    personally, where we have a septic, the laundry is plumbed "differently" so it will not go into the septic. it has its own tank--drywell variety.
  8. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
  9. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Lint is one of the biggest killers, as well as bleach. Soaps at least the high concentrations like laundry soaps are now biodegradable. Other things like blood thinners are know to cause a visqueen seal on the leach lines. Coumadin (sp) is know to cause issues. Bleach kills the good bacteria. I had a clog that turned out to be before the tank and I had to auger it out. When you are elbow deep in you know what, you tend to research how not to be in that position again! :lol:
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

Never gave the washer that much thought really. Do about a load, sometimes 2 a week though, so don't think it would be all that bad. The main thing is not to use certain TP, like Charmin.
  11. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I have a new septic system since late November, December...

everything runs in the same place 1250 gallon tank to a distribution box and 500 ft of tile.. with a perimetter drain around the whole thing and 1/4 mile down the road to the creek...

cost a lot of money.. I bet it wont clog up

the old one I replaces was a 500 gallon tanks with a field tile that ran to who knows where.
    Only had to unclog one time. (probably lint from the washer collected in an 90). worked like a champ after that..

also used only scotts toilet paper after that.