Septic System Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pberardi

Feb 21, 2015
Schwenksville, PA
Hey guys, looking at buying a house that has a questionable septic system. Im not sure if this is the correct section to post this so if its not Mods could you please move ?

I have some pictures here from the setup that is currently at the house. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Right now the pipe comes off the house and runs into the center of the circular driveway. There is three cleanouts then it dumps into what looks like the solids tank. After that the bigger tank looking is next down the line. Im hoping that this was just neglected and the wiring would need to be redone. House has been abandon for about 1.5 years. I think this worked before the guy left but the little roof thing over this hole rotted away and rusted the stuff below.

IMG_0879.jpg IMG_0877.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0875.jpg 9de644d0-5907-4a27-be71-5312d37010ba.jpg

That almost looks like the wiring for an ejector pump or does this have to pump up to the leach field? The third picture makes it look there was some older pipe with wires and junction boxes with seal offs. The pipe in the pit looks like it has a union it it for removal of a pump for servicing.

The only was to know for sure would be hiring an inspector to give you a report. In MA i know it would have to pass a Title 5 before the property could be sold, i would think PA would have a similar program.

yea it will need to pass in PA too. i just hope its not so bad it needs to be completely replaced. The house is build into a hill so I dont know where the leech field could be located unless its under the driveway. no sand mound or anything on the property.

it does look like an ejector pump, maybe the field is uphill

I would expect that the seller, or seller's agent, would have to have it up to code before the sale. Banks would be rather skittish about mortgaging a house that wouldn't pass code. There was a case near here where the septic system was shot. The estate's attorney wouldn't repair the system until the house was sold, and it couldn't be sold until the system was fixed. Catch 22. I don't know how it was resolved, but almost two years later, it did sell.

How badly do you want this place? If this system is such a mess, how are the well and other items - plumbing, electrical, etc.

What are the small pipes for? They don't look like waste plumbing. I hope that mess isn't the well!

Looks like you found an abandoned well.
Can't be active since
1.Most of the works are missing
2. You can't draw well water that close to a system

Septic must be inspected by licensed personel.

Given that you're on a hill and see no gravity drain leach field area you could have a pressurized field. What you've found looks to me like the "distribution" box for the field. The septic tank is probably under the access cover in your first photo and liquids from the septic tank flow to this vault for pressurized distribution to the field uphill of the house.

It could also be a well as someone else mentioned but I hope not.

I'd research records at the county health department for the property. They may have records on the septic and a well, if there is one.

A good septic person should be able to find your tank and other components with a ground probe and tell you what you have.

Last edited:
Thanks guys i appreciate the help. House is an old 1890 farm house with a 3k sqft addition...three car garage whole 9 yards. The guy that did the reno was meticulous. I guess the bank foreclosed on it so it just sits there now. I have a feeling that those wires are for the ejector pump. I put a contingency in my offer for the septic system so I should be ok. I will need to get a professional out if the offer does get accepted though.

Looks like a pump chamber. It also looks like those old rusty boxes that don't have covers may have been abandoned at some point in time. There looks to be some newer black SJ or SO cords coming up to that gray junction box, there may be a piece of UF wire feeding the box. I'm not sure what size tank that is, but it looks overfilled. An electrician should be able to figure if the pump/floats are good or not without having to get down in the peww.

Do NOT buy that house without a thorough assessment of the system by a qualified septic company. Until you know exactly what you are getting, you are gambling, and the odds are with the house.

Septic problems can sometimes run tens of thousands to fix, and in the worst cases, can result in the house being condemned.

I think the prior post was a bit dramatic. I agree you need to be covered with a contingency but in the majority of states a non functioning system can generally be replaced with similar system (but not expanded). One thing to consider is the leach field could be under a paved area. There are systems using precast concrete chambers that can be paved over.

Last edited:
Get a good inspection and you can make an informed decision. I was looking at a house that had a failed tank/d-box (too small for code, slightly degraded), but the field was fine. Spoke with the health dept before the sale and he okay'd me just replacing those and leaving the field as-is. Completed the purchase of the home, replaced the tank/d-box for $6K and now I'm a happy homeowner.

Septic problems can sometimes run tens of thousands to fix, and in the worst cases, can result in the house being condemned.
Two examples....One~ We sold our home years ago to a family who did not have the 50 y/o Septic tested, they were more interested in whether there was Paranormal Activity in the house.....2 years later, they had to replace the system at 20+k.....Two~ We had a Sewer System put in our neighborhood, one resident complained about the cost, the town Sanitarian informed that resident that "If your Septic fails, you would have a condemned home because you do not have enough property in reserve for a new system".....guess it's possible;hm

I'd be careful with choosing this house. That does look like an ejector pump setup. I wouldn't want a septic system that relies on electricity to run. Those pumps aren't easy on the electric bill either. I don't have an ejector but I do have an active sump pump which is a similar draw power wise and it does run up the bill considerably.

Less moving parts the better.

I had an ejector pump in a former house. It only ran a few seconds at at time, and I didn't notice any significant rise in my bill. But, I agree, I'd rather not have to rely on an electric pump for sewage disposal. Gravity works every time, and it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.