Septic Systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area, we are built on clay soil. We found out after buying the house that we didn`t have a drain field. Grey water was just dumped into a local Stream. Well my friends, it cost me 21K to have a new septic system installed. It is an Enviroseptic system. And they replaced the old septic tank for a 4 bedroom tank, with filter. So, none of those baby wipes, and none of that expensive toilet paper that is really soft. After using that, we had a 1 1/2 foot of toilet paper floating on top of the water, plugging up the pipes. Like what was said earlier by Firebroad, the cheaper, the better. Oh, and we also have a mandatory cleanout every 3 years. It costs $350, and only one company has the Monopoly of that .

The filter is a good idea. Better to have the clog at the filter, than in your septic field. I clean mine in the spring after the thaw, and last thing in the Fall before it freezes up. I also have a pump set up after the filter, to push the water to the field which is located 150 feet from the house, on a small uphill to the field. There`s an alarm system hooked up to the pump in case the pump fails, or the water won`t drain.

Laurent

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.