Septic Tank Baffle Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShadesOn

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Got a question regarding connection between outlet pipe and new effluent baffle install. Unlike every other normal septic tank, mine had a corrugated smooth wall pipe leaving the tank. This mean no polylok adapter Will got and pvc glue does nothing.

Any ideas on what connector/adapter to us here? Someone recommended a 4” Fernco adapter, but I’m worried the rubber and SS bands won’t hold up. Any info would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fernco adapter will work fine they are used all the time in repairs and installation. Usually they have a rubber compression busing that seals everything. Are u sure that stub pipe is not to come out?

I wondered if I should remove the corrugated and make the connection outside the tank. So I started to dig outside the tank and realized the distribution box was only about 24” from the septic tank and at a lower grade. The corrugated pipe is bent downward in that short distance, so ridgid pipe would have been near impossible to put in.

Ferncos are used on sewer lines all the time...and the clamps that come with it are stainless...so no problems there

Reactions: Highbeam
Agree on the Fernco. The polymer and stainless should hold up well unless you're putting something really strange down you septic.

You used to be able to buy a product that contained trichlorethylene solvent to flush down your commode to remove fats from our sewer lines. I'm not sure how a Ferco would hold up to that sort of treatment.