septic ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
I was told recently by a Septic pumper that Rid X is a waste of money and you should just use common household baking yeast and it would do the same thing . . .has anyone heard similar or done the same thing and found that it works?? Just wondering if he's telling the truth or trying to keep himself some business! thx

As just one example, the University of Maryland Extension says this:

"You do NOT need to add any commercial products or yeast to your system. Additives do not improve how well your system works. There are always plenty of natural bacteria available to do the job. (They come from YOUR digestive system.) In fact, additives can damage your system by breaking up the sludge and scum layers, causing them to flush out of the tank and clog the infiltration bed. Additives that say "Never worry about pumping your septic tank again" are the worst!"

fossil said:
As just one example, the University of Maryland Extension says this:

"You do NOT need to add any commercial products or yeast to your system. Additives do not improve how well your system works. There are always plenty of natural bacteria available to do the job. (They come from YOUR digestive system.) In fact, additives can damage your system by breaking up the sludge and scum layers, causing them to flush out of the tank and clog the infiltration bed. Additives that say "Never worry about pumping your septic tank again" are the worst!"
bingo! gotta pump the tank so to keep the fieldlines from getting plugged- depends on the flush into the tank & AVOID GARBAGE DISPOSERS from sink

been an operator at a sewage plant for the last forever :roll: and the guys are right as you don't need anything extra too keep the good bugs doing their job..
but all depends how many people you have in the house, when you should call the truck in.
last did our house 2 years ago and with three of us here after 5 years before that, it did not need it. about 6 inch of sludge on top and flowing fine.
Terry

The one thing I do add to my tank is root killer (Copper Sulfate) occasionally, because I have Juniper trees growing around it that seem to find their way in...and they just LOVE it in there. The root killer turns 'em into sludge so they get pumped out every couple or three years. Rick

very good point fossil..

when we moved in about 8/9 years ago the first thing i did was cut down a very nice maple that was planted way to close to the system.

my brother in law who installs them was at the house the other day and he told me it is 18 thousand to put a new one in.

so i will be taking care of this one for sure.....

Here's one for Fossil,
Was wondering what that bag of copper sulphate was for when we bought the place.
So how much do you use and how do you put it in ?
rn

rustynut said:
Here's one for Fossil,
Was wondering what that bag of copper sulphate was for when we bought the place.
So how much do you use and how do you put it in ?
rn

I buy it in 32-ounce plastic containers, and I use two of those each time I treat it (1000 gal. tank). My system has a cleanout very near the tank, and I just open the cap on the cleanout, turn on 2 or three faucets in the house, and dump the stuff into the water flowing past in the sewer line. Once or twice a year. Every system will have a cleanout or two someplace between the dwelling and the tank. Rick

fossil said:
Every system will have a cleanout or two someplace between the dwelling and the tank. Rick

Careful now. New systems must have this cleanout but older ones certainly don't have to. Mine doesn't have any cleanouts anywhere except on the actual tank.

You do not need to add anything to your tank to help it. You can add plenty of things to hurt it but none help more than your natural deposits.

Oh and loon, I am sure that you meant to say that you had 6" of scum floating on top as you know that sludge is the dark junk that sets on the bottom.

I take care not to flush much of anything unnatural into my septic system and in the last two tanks have noticed a near absence of scum since scum is mostly made up of fats, oils, and greases which I don't crap out so they aren't in the tank. Sludge builds up of course as normal.

No yeast, or rid-X.

Absent a convenient cleanout, the copper sulfate can simply be dumped into a toilet, followed by 3 or 4 flushes. Rick

Highbeam said:
Oh and loon, I am sure that you meant to say that you had 6" of scum floating on top as you know that sludge is the dark junk that sets on the bottom.

yes sir and thanks

Terry

woodsman23 said:
I have never had mine pumped and it was installed in 97. Never had any issues and there are 2 of us.

Well, sooner or later you may well have an issue with it. When the sludge that inevitably builds up in the bottom of the tank reaches a level so as to enter or restrict the flow of effluent water out to the drainfield, then the system stops functioning correctly. If the scum layer floating on top of the water becomes so deep as to find the outlet, that's a system failure as well. It's a simple system, but it really is a little waste treatment system, and ignoring it is just asking for trouble in the long run. The real purpose of periodic pumping is to get rid of both the scum layer floating on top of the water and the sludge layer that builds up on the bottom. In order to do that, the entire contents of the tank must be removed. 13 years is a long time to go without pumping the tank. You might think about getting that done. Rick

woodsman23 said:
I have never had mine pumped and it was installed in 97. Never had any issues and there are 2 of us.
If you wait until you have issues, it will be too late. Once the sludge clogs the field, it cannot be unclogged.

Pump the tank = couple hundred bucks. Replace the drainfield = easily a hundred times that. Call pumping the tank from time to time cheap drainfield insurance.

woodsman23 said:

You are about 8 yrs late in getting this done. These systems have a finite lifespan. Deferring maintenance shortens it.

this is from a company which states every 2 years but i dont think people have to have it done that regular, but if there is a large number of people in the household it might be a good idea.
we had 4 members but now we are down to 3 so i am gonna do the 5 year cleanout.

me and the farmer across the road just did his again on friday as they were having a bad time with the house stinking,i extended the stink pipe on the one side of the farm house as they had some renovations done over the winter and the fella who did it,only put the pipe up under the soffit and not above the roof line??? we knew that was the problem but the wife was concerned about the tank so i had a guy come out that i know from the plant and had it done.
theirs was done the same time as mine a couple years ago and there is only the 2 of them in the house and the tank could of waited for the cleanout a few more years easily. they are in their late seventy's and have alot of kids and grandkids visiting regularly.

http://pottyon.com/How_Septic_Systems_Work.html

There are tools to check sludge levels in tanks. One I believe is called "Sludge Judge". If you local septic folks can gain access to the tank they can use one to determine whether the tank really needs cleaning or not. Its just an open-ended clear tube with a remotely operated valve on the bottom. You stand it upright in the tank, close the bottom valve, pull it out, and you have a representative column of what's in the tank. Of course, once you've got them out there it may be worth the cost just to have them pump it out.

Woodsman may be in trouble but it all depends on how much load the system was designed for. Most systems are designed based on house size or number of bedrooms. If he's living in a six bedroom house with one other person (and the builders followed code) he may be okay. I doubt that's the case though.

Well, our 52 yr. old septic system is being replaced by city sewer tomorrow. Our system is working fine, this is a city mandate due to 'development' in our area. At a cost of $15,000 for sewer this is NOT a cost we need at this time but we have no choice.

We live in Wisconsin. State law (I believe) requires pumping every 2 years.

Shari

Shari said:
Well, our 52 yr. old septic system is being replaced by city sewer tomorrow. Our system is working fine, this is a city mandate due to 'development' in our area. At a cost of $15,000 for sewer this is NOT a cost we need at this time but we have no choice.

We live in Wisconsin. State law (I believe) requires pumping every 2 years.

Shari

In WI (or at least in Jefferson County), you have to have your septic inspected or pumped every 3 years. It costs under $150 for a mound system to have it pumped. I don't know what an inspection costs, as I figure at under $150, just have them pump it every 3 years.

thats a good idea Semipro.
we use them here at the plant..

DSCN1133.jpg

How do I tell if the drywall bucket sized thing sticking up in the lawn is the tank or the d-box? What should your tank look like if all is well? If Rid-X and the like don't do anything, why do people buy them?

loon said:
thats a good idea Semipro.
we use them here at the plant..

DSCN1133.jpg

I think that's the first time I've actually seen one in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.