Serious issue with stove temp....or maybe not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.M2

Feb 3, 2008
WV
This is a long post, sorry. I would greatly appreciate the input of the other members on this topic.
Thank you in advance.
I have a quadra fire 2100. I have had this stove for 5 years now.
Last night at about 3:30 am the smoke detector went off and the house had smoke in it.
The smoke didn't smell like burning wood. It had the smell of firing up a stove for the first time.
At 2:30 am I add several pieces of wood on top of a large bed of coals.
The way the pieces happened to fit left no path for flames to move upward around the fresh wood.
I'm not even sure this is relevant.
The flue is black double walled from the stove top to the ceiling box where it then connects to the double wall stainless flue that goes through the attic and then the roof. It is a straight run.
The black flue was so hot that it melted the UL listed sticker on it.
I touched the flue ( I had to know just how hot it was ) and it was hotter than I've ever felt it.
It wasn't glowing or anything.
The fire in the box was massive but not any more so than it has been before.
When I opened the door I heard a massive roaring sound.
I wasn't sure if it was just the fire or perhaps a flue fire. There was no smoke pouring out of the flue outside.
I unloaded the stove into a steel bucket and relocated the burning wood and coals outside into another steel can where my son covered it with snow.
Once the stove was empty and cooling down I climbed onto the roof and removed the cap.
I was surprised when I looked down to see that there was no real build up of creosote, no fire, no glowing, nothing at all. I did notice small black pieces of ash setting on the snow on the roof.
The stove burns clean and when I clean it, before every season, it's never anything more than just a few small flakes.
Could there have been a small flue fire 5 feet or less from the stove top which burned out before I emptied the stove and climbed on the roof?
Should that UL listed sticker on the side of the black flue have melted off? Has this happened to anyone else?
Could the door seal be letting in air causing it to burn to hot or the damper controls malfunction?
Personally, I don't think there was a flue fire and I don't think there was a malfunction of the dampers since they seem to feel exactly the same way they always are, i.e. no slack in the movement, etc.
I also find it highly unusual that after 5 years of burning that I suddenly reached a temperature I've never reached before causing the flue to 'cure' the way a stove does on it's first few burns.
However, something sure as the heck did happen and it scared the crap out of the family, me included.
I'm going to go up now and clean the flue and fire up the stove again and see what happens.

Was this during path at cold snap the ne just had? We're the outside temps lower than normal where you are?

Matt

Was this during path at cold snap the ne just had? We're the outside temps lower than normal where you are?

Matt

Yes, the temps have been lower than usual this week. I'm in WV. There was very little creosote removed when I cleaned it.
All of this buildup was located at the connection of the flue at the ceiling.
There seems to be a bit of movement at this connection but if I remember correctly it has always had play in it.
I'm afraid that I'm hyper sensitive at this point and noticing, and worrying about things that are probably not even an issue. _g

Since that sticker, which was intact for 5 years, melted, my main concern is that the flue exceeded the temperature limits and may be compromised.
If there was no flue fire though I don't think even at full blast the stove would over heat the flue. I just don't know.
I'm going to make a call Monday morning and get someone out here to take a look at it.
I just have to decide whether I'm going to fire it up or wait until someone looks at it.

This is all that was cleaned out.
IMG_0167.jpg

I just did the 'dollar bill' test and around the handle of the door a new dollar can be slid back and forth with ease.
I'm going to replace the gasket (obviously) and while I'm at it the ceramic tiles and blanket too.

Who makes your double wall pipe? If it is ICC Ultrablack, it is rated to withstand two separate 30 minutes fires at 2100 degrees. So, if it is ICC, then I would not be worried. Do not know the ratings on other pipes.

A few Progress Hybrid owners have found that building a fire on a large hot bed of coals can result is very impressive fires. Even when everything is done correctly and carefully. Some are getting deep coaled in thsi weather. Did you load on a larger coal bed than usual? Did you watch the stove after addding the wood at 2;30 AM onto a hot coal bed, and wait to adjust for a low burn and make sure everthing was stable before heading back to bed? A tempting short cut taken at 2:30 AM on a very old night could result in a runaway fire easily. How far was your flue closed down when this happened? Do you monitor flue and stove temps?

If everything looks good, as it seems to, and you have checked the stove carefully to make sure it is not damaged, I'd feel comfortable using the stove. Try building a smaller fire first time.

And I really don't think it is a good idea to empty the stove in the middle of a burn. The pipe is designed to handle an overfire better than you or your house are. It would be far more important to get your FAMILY OUT of the house if you had any concern about chimney fire. Then, if you feel it is safe for you to be inthe house, there are standard procedures for dealing with a chimney fire. But is surely doesn't sound as if you had a real chimney fire going...sounds more like a fire in the firebox taking off and creating a runaway or overfiring situation. Which in itself can damage the stove. So be sure the stove is OK.

You may not need to replace the door gasket. You can likely tighten the handle. Most have a st screw for this purpose. And, if you have not previously done so, you may be able to "fluff" the gasket a bit...tease it somewhat back into its original shpe. It is now likely quite compressed.

Good luck.

Sounds like a overfire to me ! Try to adjust the door if you can before you change the gasket that may be all it needs. You may have had a chimney fire as well if there is popcorn ash all over outside and even in the top of the box don't fire it. ( Edit ) Even if there is not popcorn ash. Have a certified sweep come inspect the chimney for damage. It does sound like a loose door though. When it comes to your families safety an inspection is a small price to pay.;)

Pete

It could have been the wood outgassed at once and got the flue hot enough to melt the sticker. I know the first year with my liberty I loaded it on a huge bed of coals and it scared the sh** out of me it got so hot. If you don't feel comfortable starting a fire, have a someone come look at it. Is better to be safe than sorry.

I don't recall who makes the pipe. While I don't monitor the temps ( I will be from now on obviously ) I didn't do anything that I haven't done a hundred times before in the middle of the night. I always make sure it takes off before leaving it. The air controls were in their usual position. I don't have to make any adjustments when adding wood to a bed of coals.

The family was ready to get out of the house. My wife had the cats and dogs ready to go. My son, who is 17 and a volunteer fire fighter, and I were the only ones dealing with it. The stove can't be shut completely down. Even at the low settings it would have just kept going. The removal of the burning logs was done with the utmost caution.

I did tighten the handle and fluff the gasket and it made a difference. I'm going to replace the parts which have worn, including the gasket, anyway. I may fire it up tomorrow during the day and Monday I'm going to schedule the installer to inspect the flue and the stove as well as get his opinion on replacing the bricks.

This stove has run for 5 years requiring no major maintenance, just cleaning. If the wife gets too worked up about firing it up before the installer checks it out then I'll just keep running the propane.

Thank you to everyone who has added to this thread. Your input is greatly appreciated.;ex

If you don't see any warping you should be fine, but caution is never a bad thing and piece of mind is priceless when family is concerned.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.