Serious Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I was the teachers pet in grade 3, and my poor math skills weren't the real reason I kept repeating grade 3 . >> >> >>
2d9fa9da514101c1f0f69d7acce87d0e.jpg

I wonder if my wife would question why I wanted to go to the parent-teacher conferences alone?

And I agree, if you are going to cut 75 hedge trees you better stock up on files and chains.

And NOW the title of this thread fits
Indeed...but I was still more excited by the first post...;em
Great score, good luck. Osage!
I won't cut hedge without carhart coveralls. First ones I went after for bows (had to clean up all the brush) almost killed me. Big reason the poulan is under my porch.

Reactions: D8Chumley
To show how resilient Hedge is, this photo was taken in Joplin Missouri. This tree was centered by the EF5 Tornado that struck a couple of years back. Was reported to be the only thing left standing in that area.View attachment 152881
If you've ever worked with hedge ( making a bow or anything pretty much) you'd believe this story. One of the most dense and resilient woods out there. Awesome firewood too

Ahem...

I had spoken to my son-in-law about Osage, and he came back some time later and told me he heard the saying "Horse high, hog-tight and bull-strong.". Pretty apt.

My neighbor came home with a load of hedge that he split, and he was yelling over the fence that it was even tough to stack because each piece stuck to another like velcro.

Be sure to get some pine or silver maple to use to start fires with because you're not gonna' like leaving the stove door ajar for a few minutes to get something going, but you probably already know that. :cool:

If you've ever worked with hedge ( making a bow or anything pretty much) you'd believe this story. One of the most dense and resilient woods out there. Awesome firewood too
As hard as hedge is it doesn't even make honorable mention in the top 15 hardest woods. All of the 15 hardest woods will not float in water and weight over 62# per cubic foot!

you're not gonna' like leaving the stove door ajar
The sparks alone will probably burn your house down. Every time I've burned hedge, I'll let it burn down to coals, and open the door for a reload... CRACK! Face full of hot sparks.

Hedge burns like coal. I spotted 5 or 6 large hedge trees in my neighbor's timber and asked if I could take them off his hands. He told me no and that I would ruin my stove. A lot of old timers around where I live have ruined many a stove by over firing with Hedge. It can get get flippin' hot if you are not careful.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Hedge burns like coal. I spotted 5 or 6 large hedge trees in my neighbor's timber and asked if I could take them off his hands. He told me no and that I would ruin my stove. A lot of old timers around where I live have ruined many a stove by over firing with Hedge. It can get get flippin' hot if you are not careful.
I don't think hedge burns any hotter than any other wood, it just has more BTU,s per cord because of weight. I see people comparing it to coal and maybe in terms of burn time yea. But if they are saying it burns too hot for a wood stove then do they make coal stoves out of a different grade of metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.