Service at Buchanan Fireplace in Medford Mass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pes5

May 23, 2008
Eastern Mass.
Has anyone experienced Buchanan's (located in Medford Mass.) service/installation? I'm looking to purchase my first pellet stove (most likely a Harman Accentra insert) and know, based on this forum, how important it is to choose the right supplier who services the stove. Any other recommendations for my area (12 miles north of Boston)?

Thank you

They must be new to the Harman line.
For years this has been an area (north of Boston) lacking dealer support for harmans.
The nearest dealers for the last 4 years (of Harman) were in Cambridge, Norwood, and then a couple on the border in NH.....
What other lines do they carry?
How long have they been in business?

I can say that Harman does demand a good dealer for their products. Until recently I couldn't say that but a local shop had the line recently pulled due to customer complaints. It's the first line I've seen take quality over quantity in the past few years.

Yes, they are fairly new to selling Harman, although they said that they've been servicing them for many years (I think she said they were in the service industry only before opening their own store). The only other brand they sell is Regency. Thanks for the replys. Is this a good time to purchase? She is willing to sell the unit itself for a little under $3200. Also, any recommendation for pellets? I'm looking at the Cleanfire premium...

I can't answer your other questions, but I suspect now is as good of a time as any to purchase a new stove if you want it for this coming winter heating season. I just bought a new Harman stove last weekend from a dealer in CT. I had to call several dealers before I found one that was willing to sell below list price, but I saved hundreds of dollars by shopping around. All the dealers said demand has be very high due to high oil prices. The last guy I talked to said he's sold more stoves in the last few weeks than he did all winter. So based on this, expect to pay close to full list price, even though this is off season. Anything below list might be a reasonably good deal given the present demand.

If you're willing to wait and roll the dice a little, the cheapest time to buy might be around next Feb. This is when most unsold stoves are often clearanced. I suspect most dealers ordered a lot of stoves (two manufactures I spoke to directly said they've received record orders) and if oil doesn't remain at the crazy levels we've seen recently (and it appears to be dropping now), there could potentially be a lot of stoves sitting in the showrooms next winter... which would mean significant discounts to buyers as they clear them out. This is obviously just speculation, but I'm expecting this to play out over the next 9 months as these high oil prices aren't likely to be sustainable.

Anyway, today is probably as good as any if you want a stove installed before the temps start to drop again.

Status
Not open for further replies.