serviceing your pellet stove. DONT DO THE JOB HALF WAY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advantage I insert.
Property management called a sweep to service a pellet stove.
He cleaned the pipe and sucked out some ash out of the firebox. He tried to turn it on and the combustion blower would not come on.

He told the customer it needed a new blower. I was called in to fix the stove. I did the job correct and removed the firebrick and found 3 gallons of acorns in the combustion chamber and blower. No parts other than new firebrick were needed to make this stove happy.

IMG00396-20091119-1329.jpg

IMG00405-20091119-1413.jpg

more here http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitclean.htm

jtakeman said:
Rod,

I take it a critter was using it for a storage location?

jay
yes but what im pointing out is some people THINK they are doing a great job cleaning their stove
Or they think the person they paid to do the job is doing a good job when in fact it is a half ass job.

the only way to properly do an annual service on a pellet stove is to take the time and REMOVE everything
Firebrick, Baffles, blowers.
And I dont think the Leave blower trick is going to clean out all this stuff. nothing beats good ole elbow grease and a brush.

Acorns? Hmmmmmmm. jtakeman says he'll burn just about anything in his Omega, Rod. Have you tried acorns yet? :lol:

no but I might try it. we have enough of them around here. after all the town is called oakhurst

My 10-cpm Englander will burn cherry pits....I may go outside and find some dry acorns and give it a shot.....just for laughs.

macman said:
Acorns? Hmmmmmmm. jtakeman says he'll burn just about anything in his Omega, Rod. Have you tried acorns yet? :lol:

Oh sure get me in trouble with the multifuel police(I almost said pellet) for burning an unapproved fuel. :lol: Where's Eric when you need him.

I honestly never though of it. But now that you mention it? Hmmm? :)

Bet the moisture level is a little too high for a good burn.

Sorry we hijacked this thread Rod. Must be the results of to much Turkey!

rats...I just raked up about 5 bushels of acorns a few weeks back...never thought that they might be fuel. we definitely had a bumper crop of acorns this year. Must've been due to all the rain we've had.
In retrosect, I'm not sure these would've worked. They are probably too large for the auger. White Oak acorns are pretty large. Those acorns in Rod's pic's look like Live Oak acorns...

Status
Not open for further replies.