Seton clone....19HR burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse-M

Sep 18, 2008
Columbia City, IN
Would never do this on a regular basis, but thought why not. Was leaving for the festivities on New Years Eve and wasn't sure if we would make it back so I loaded the boiler to the hilt. Way out of the normal for me, especially since it was a balmy 56* out, but thought why not, if I get to drunk I won't have to worry about the house getting cold. ( No storage ) Ended gettin home about 2:30 and went straight to bed, didn't even look at the boiler. Cleaned ashes and reloaded this afternoon at 2:00. Doubt that I'll ever get that long of a burn again.......

I was away for a different reason on Thursday. I filled till the load was within an inch of the HX. I turned the aquastat back to 175. As we were leaving the house I was concerned because it felt quite cold out. It was in the teens. Later that day it made 40 in the sun, but not as warm as Friday/Saturday. I didn't get back to the fire for 12 hours. On first check there was a huge bed of coals, which I pushed to the back and closed the door. It ended up being a +14 hour fire.

But as you say, it's prolly more efficient not to load them this way.

Did the same thing Fri nite. Loaded it pretty good at 7 pm,went out,didnt check it when I got home,woke up at 9am still a monster bed of coals,stirred them up and good till about noon when it finally burnt down thats 17 hrs but again it wasnt that cold and no body to use up hot water in that time frame either. Well happy new years to all members.

mine is just a Mack truck version of what you guys are using. I let it go out for a couple of the 45F days last week for a repair. last night I fired it with a wheel barrow load of 4 to 6 inch stuff and some card board. Fan on for two hours came back and rolled in 4- 24 to 30 rounds 30 inches long and a few more of the 4 to 6 inch stuff. There was a real nice bed of coals. fan on for two hours. checked it in two hours and it is almost unbelievable how much heat this thing makes. 1,200 gal of water from 75F to 170 in four hours while all the loads were cycling to include 400 gals DHW and was charging the 4000 gals of indirect storage. checked it 11 hours later and a very nice bed of coals for the morning reload. I have gone 12 to 14 hours between loads - the water temp is usually at the lower end of were I like to keep it. two of my loads are comi-core water heaters that - 1- DHW & pool room,back room,tile floors 2- DHW, heated slab for 750 Sq ft apartment. So I need to keep my delta-t was wide as possible- about 140F things start to get thin, both of these units have 200 gal preheater tanks/w/u-tubes and circulators to help with the flywheel effect going. IMO- for real hot fires load it like a garn several smaller loads and at that point it doesn't matter is so hot it will burn a big load if you got a place for the heat. One design flaw I have is when its so hot and you open the door, you can't stand with in 3 ft of the thing - It's completely fire brick and it's drafting toward the back but the radiant heat has caused me the need for some new eyelashes more then once, have to to relearn every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.