Seton / Greenwood aquastat problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMann

Jun 27, 2008
Southern PA
Yesterday morning when I went to load the furnace I noticed that my overflow bucket was full of water. When I came home, after loading I opened the boiler to see it full of charred logs. I went to the aqua-stat (Johnson Control) and turned the dial which immediately signaled the Belimo to open the draft, starting the fire. I kept my eye on this through the evening and and have concluded that when it temp threshold it reached (either high or low), it will shut down but not open (or vice versa) unless I turn the dial on the aqua-stat.

If anyone knows what is going on or has experienced this, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. Not sure if it's the control or the damper actuator (Belimo) itself that needs to be replaced.

I have not experienced this.

I have found that the stat setting does not jive with the temp gauge. Under the assumption that the gauge is more important, I set the aquastat by that. Leave the cover off and you can just turn it with thumb and forefinger.

Right - It's just that it's 100' from the house - It seems to be stuck at 180*. The temp could be 130* and I'll have it set to 180*; As soon I I turn the knob past 180 - it signals the actuator.

weird - I'm replacing it tonight.

after a few hot suppers my aquastats dont jive with the actual water temp gauges. i adjust them to actual water temp not what the aquastat is.

Does that work well for you (barring any further boil overs) or do you fell that you're constantly messing with it once it starts to act up?

i boiled over after an outage a couple of times before i got an inverter backup and after that i adjusted them i havent touched them since. mine are honeywell aquastat.

Thanks Beans - Do you have a model number for that? This is the third Johnson Control for the damper - replacing these are getting to be part of the annual maintenance performed in the off season.

Is there an aqua stat that will close on low and high (140* - 180*) temps? It would be nice to set it up so that it closes, leaving more coals for the AM fill up.

As a follow-up and closing for the thread: It was the aquastat. Once replaced, all is well.

Thanks for the help,

Status
Not open for further replies.