Seton/Greenwood owners; Does your stove pipe ever overheat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
For the second time this season my stove pipe temps have reached high temps. I am guessing 7-800 (High temp silicone burned up and turned to powder). The first time it happened I chalked it up to a dirty pipe touching off. But it just happened again with a fairly clean stove pipe. Air holes inside boiler are clear. Hex is a bit dirty but not so dirty as to cause this issue... Snow storm today but draft inducer is on same setting I always run it. Chimney is fairly clean, not plugged etc... Anyone else experience this issue?

Sparke . . . I have a magnetic stove thermometer on my 8" stove pipe right before is enters the SS. 300* is a rare high for me. But it's obviously not telling me what the exhaust stream temps are.

Aye, I have same type thermometer. It usually reads 250-300* Those were the temps I had yesterday. That is why the overheat is so puzzling. It is totally random. If the Hex was dirty I would expect the exhaust temp to get higher over time. Right now with a full load (1st stage burn) Thermometer is 250*.

Status
Not open for further replies.