Seton / Greenwood - wood cutting advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about wood and Seton-type boilers --

Has anyone tried to get through a winter burning soft wood in these Seton-type boilers?

Aside from having to make more trips to the woodpile, is there any reason you couldn't use soft wood -- especially in an outside shed with water storage?

Of course, hard wood would be better, but mostly what I have around here is junk softwood -- spruce and fir. And the attractive feature of the Seton boilers is their ability to burn minimaly-processed chunk wood. Is there any reason you couldn't run a Seton boiler on soft wood?

Thanks,
Smee

I burn plenty of spruce in my Greenwood 100. It does burn faster, but that is the only drawback. I try and use the spruce for starting fires and getting the temp up quicker and then throw some large birch rounds on if I need it to burn a long time.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the heat exchanger tubes in the firebox? I know that I'm loosing efficiency when these get covered in creosote.

I used a small brass hammer and a 1 1/2 x 1 1/8 x 36 Weil-McClain boiler brush. Hit the tubes with the hammer after a good hot fire and a dose of Rutland Creosote Remover. Use the boiler brush between the tubes running it lengthwise-- be careful, you will hit the top panel insulation--maybe a slightly larger brush would help. I did this once weekly-- seemed to come off pretty easily during the short life of my Adobe 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.