Seton's next generation boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.beans

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
new hampshire
looks like hes adding a clean out access to get to the bottom of the vessel. maybe build up is a problem? also looks like he changed the vessel design. hes got some new claims too.

I spoke to the sales guy from a company called Green Horizons recently. They have a Seton-style gasifier that they're just starting to sell. Made in Fort Kent, Maine.

According to Tony, his boiler has an ash pit and tray, as well as easier access inside the side panels for cleaning. He also mentioned that this boiler is "all sealed up," allowing it to burn green wood. Since I'm not familiar with the Seton design, that didn't tell me anything, but I do seem to recall the need for Greenwood and Seton owners to beef up their boilers with silicone in previous threads, so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

I was trying to convince Tony to bring a boiler to the Expo in Vermont next week so I could see the thing up close, but he never got back to me on that.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new and improved Seton boilers built in a factory in Ohio , according to Fred the quality will be very high right from the start they don't want any callbacks . Also they will be using a higher quality of refractory cement . Hopefully two of my neighbors will have there new Setons soon , I will post some pics asap. Anthony

the boiler made in fort kent is a copy cat boiler based on the seton. they were calling these a greenfire and selling them on ebay for pretty cheap money. so i called and talked with the manufacturer and he told me he used build the adobe's but he got stiffed and went out on his own. i already have a seton but some friends wanted a gasifier also so they were considering buying these. so i called fred seton and asked him about the greenfire. after speaking with fred and the greenfire guy my friends and myself bought the "build it yourself" plans from fred seton. my friends so far have built two boilers and will be building another one before this heating season. heres setons web site

http://www.rohor.com/

2.beans said:
the boiler made in fort kent is a copy cat boiler based on the seton. they were calling these a greenfire and selling them on ebay for pretty cheap money. so i called and talked with the manufacturer and he told me he used build the adobe's but he got stiffed and went out on his own. i already have a seton but some friends wanted a gasifier also so they were considering buying these. so i called fred seton and asked him about the greenfire. after speaking with fred and the greenfire guy my friends and myself bought the "build it yourself" plans from fred seton. my friends so far have built two boilers and will be building another one before this heating season. heres setons web site

http://www.rohor.com/

That's the way to do it if you have a shop , patience and time . Anthony

The one member we have with a Greenfire seems happy with it. As I recall, he paid about half of what you'd expect. I didn't realize they were related. Thanks for clearing that up, beans.

2.beans said:
After speaking with fred and the greenfire guy my friends and myself bought the "build it yourself" plans from fred seton. my friends so far have built two boilers and will be building another one before this heating season.

2.beans

Finally, someone who has purchased the plans, and knows someone who built the boiler. Were the plans complete, do you feel like the purchase was worth the cost? Are the homebuilt boiler's performance the same as your factory built Seton? What was the most difficult part of the project?

Thanks for the post. It would be real interesting to see building the boiler documented with photos. Not to give up Seton's proprietary information, but to get a better idea of what goes into building one, and to assess the "do-ability" of the project.

sorry for the late reply i have been really busy in the past few weeks. the build your own boiler plans were worth the money i guess. for the do it your self ease of it im not sure. it was extremely helpfull having already purchased a seton boiler so you had one to reference to. the hardest part of the build is the vessel itself. you need to own a pipe bender or find someone that can bend pipe, not exhaust pipe. the two boilers that were built havent been fired up yet , but they should perform exactly like a seton built. they have all the same components . maybe when we build the next round ill take some pictures and post them.

Thank for the reply.

I would be real interested in a photo essay of the next build.

Eric Johnson said:
The one member we have with a Greenfire seems happy with it. As I recall, he paid about half of what you'd expect. I didn't realize they were related. Thanks for clearing that up, beans.

Hi Eric,

Who is the member who owns the Greenfire?

Rob

Eric Johnson said:

Oops! nevermind, I forgot, it's sparke!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.