setting barometric damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you are supposed to use a draft meter and set you barometric damper to manufacturers specs but I do not have a draft guage and they are pretty pricey is there any other way to set the damper? any info would be greatly appriated.

Len

I kept guessing and guessing last year, finally broke down and bought one. They are 58.00 at Yukon-eagle.com. If you have a HVAC friend, they own one, or if you can find someone with one in your area, you could borrow it, you only really need to set it up once, although I guess I check mine once or month or so, just because it's there.

I have read of ways to do it with just water in a tube, but I have no idea where I read that, or if it really works.

Before I bought my draft gauge, I used to build a hot fire and bring the stovepipe temperature up above 350 degrees. I then would set the weight on the barometric draft regulator to maintain that temperature. It is a crude way of adjusting it, but it works in a pinch or until you get the proper draft gauge.

Only with a draft gauge will you truly have it set correctly.

I bought my Dwyer Manometer on Ebay also, $10 with tubing and fluid, never used. I have my new barometric damper set all the way "off" and it still flaps pretty good when I get a fire going so I'm curious what my readings will be when I actually take it out of the box and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.