1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

setting barometric damper?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by shoeboxlen, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoeboxlen

shoeboxlen Member

Loc:
    Schoharie County NY
    I know you are supposed to use a draft meter and set you barometric damper to manufacturers specs but I do not have a draft guage and they are pretty pricey is there any other way to set the damper? any info would be greatly appriated.

Len

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I kept guessing and guessing last year, finally broke down and bought one. They are 58.00 at Yukon-eagle.com. If you have a HVAC friend, they own one, or if you can find someone with one in your area, you could borrow it, you only really need to set it up once, although I guess I check mine once or month or so, just because it's there.

I have read of ways to do it with just water in a tube, but I have no idea where I read that, or if it really works.
  3. COAL STOVE

COAL STOVE New Member

Loc:
    PITTSBURGH PENNSYLVANIA
    Before I bought my draft gauge, I used to build a hot fire and bring the stovepipe temperature up above 350 degrees. I then would set the weight on the barometric draft regulator to maintain that temperature. It is a crude way of adjusting it, but it works in a pinch or until you get the proper draft gauge.

Only with a draft gauge will you truly have it set correctly.
  4. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
  5. ohbie1

ohbie1 Member

Loc:
    WESTERN NJ
  6. matt701

matt701 Member

Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I bought my Dwyer Manometer on Ebay also, $10 with tubing and fluid, never used. I have my new barometric damper set all the way "off" and it still flaps pretty good when I get a fire going so I'm curious what my readings will be when I actually take it out of the box and try it.
  7. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.