Setting the bar groove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Worth the effort? I suppose on the bigger saws it is. My old 40cc saw had a badly splayed groove when I got it, and I just replaced the bar. Likely a more expensive proposition with something over 16", but then again... by the time the rails get splayed, maybe the bar is developing a hollow or the nose sprocket is nearing the end of life? Only my 28" bar has a replaceable nose sprocket.

I'm also interested in your favorite tool for doing the job, those of you who do it.

Usually if the groove is that sloppy, it's usually worn from the inside out and not just splayed or bent outwards. Save it for stump grinding (not that I subject my saws to that... :mad:) or toss it. Correcting the width of the groove would be a short term fix at best.

I've never replaced a nose sprocket because it's cheaper to replace the bar than to buy a nose assembly and pay me to change it out. I might do it one day just for kicks but that'd be it.

EDIT: I have little experience with the real high-dollar bars (for 100cc+ saws and over 30") so maybe for those units it's different?

Reactions: Nixon
Status
Not open for further replies.