Setting up for a wood burning insert...Sierra 4700TE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
Hi,

This site is great....thanks for all of the great info! I have just aquired a used like new Sierra 4700 TE wood burning insert. I will be attemting to install it into my existing chimney. I'm a novice so bear with me! The house is a 2 story colonial the fireplace is located in my family room. The fireplace/chimney is on an end wall on the other side of the wall is an unheated 2 car garage. What I'm looking for is recommendations on how to set this insert up. The chimney is apprx. 25 feet & is in great shape. The stucco 8"x12" liner is in great shape as well as the fireplace itself. The damper is an old style throat type with a screw handle to adjust it. The dimensions of the damper lid are approx. 25"x6". On the stove itself the flue opening is oval which has me stumped as to what to do? The stove manual says to use 6" minimum pipe. The oval opening is 9 3/4" by 4 1/2" which I guess transfers into 8" oval pipe.. Do I need to get a fitting that will take the oval exhaust port on the insert from oval to round? Dp I need to use 8" oval pipe or can I convert to 6" round? I guess I will need to take the damper plate out? Once that is out I will be able to run the liner through easier. So the next question is blocking off the opening where the damper was....I have seen the "do it yourself version" & like the idea. Is there another option or a place that sells a kit that is a fairly easy to install to block off the damper opening & let the liner run through? I live in central Massachusetts & I'm having a tough time finding a place locally that will service my needs! Ultimately I would like to find a place that could get me everything I need a chimney liner kit , the hardware to convert my oval exhaust port to round (if needed), and also the damper enclosure kit if there is such a thing. My last question is regarding the catalytic combuster. According to the previous owner the stove was only used 6 times. The stove has sit for 2 years. How do I know if I need to get a new combuster? Is it possible to take the combuster out & burn without it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So this is my situation. I'm just learning so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

That is a bunch of wood stove you have there. The 4700 TE has a "standard" eight inch oval flue collar so an eight inch oval to six inch round adapter should fit into the collar fine. One place that has virtually all of the parts you mention is Hart's Hearth at www.hartshearth.com. Give'em a call and tell them what you have and they will help. They have damper block-off kits for oval pipe as well as liners etc.

The manual for your stove is available here if you don't already have it:

http://www.empireproductsinc.com/images/pdfs/manuals/sierra/sierra_installation_4700tec.pdf

Kinda jealous. I had a big pre-EPA Sierra insert for a long time and would have liked to have given the 4700 a run but there weren't any dealers around here.

BrotherBart,

Thanks for the fast response I really appreciate it. Have you heard any feedback on the sierra 4700? Sounds like you are familiar with Sierra. I have yet to find much info on them. I will be putting an order in with hartshearth.

Thanks again!

Eric

Even though Sierra stoves started out here in Virginia they haven't been around here for years. Ownership of the name and designs have changed hands a few times and now they are with a company in California. I suspect that shipping costs have kept them from being available around here for quite some time. If they are built anything like my old insert was they are a freakin tank. Since the 4700 TE weights 570 pounds it sounds like they still build'em like tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.