Several Questions About Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfonce

Aug 31, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I live in Ontario, Canada, in a mobile home. The trailer is around 900 square feet and has 4 inch walls and is generally poorly insulated. It gets cold during the winter. I go through around 250 gallons of propane a winter, costing around $650. I figure I could drop this yearly cost to around $250.

I work for one of the largest home building retailers in all of Canada, and get a significant employee discount on everything they sell. I can get 40lb pellet bags for $5.10 CDN tax in, Most other places sell for Around $8 tax in. Anyway I was looking at the Flame FP-45 (which I believe use to be Drolet?) Its rated for 1200 square feet on its minimum heat setting, but I figure with the insulation value of my trailer, it might be just right for my 900 square foot trailer? I can get the stove and piping kit for $2000. Now for some questions.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5531019?Ntt=pellet+stove

I want to install the stove myself but I need to get a W.E.T.T. inspection. If I install myself, how can I prove I did it right, for example, the fireproof insulation around the exhaust pipe inside the wall. How could they see that I actually have the right insulation installed in the wall or would I not attach the cover plate to the wall, to allow for viewing. What would it generally cost to have a company install a stove.

Is there any benefit to an exhaust pipe that goes horizontally out the wall, vs out the roof. I`d prefer out the wall

Is a fresh air intake necessary, and can it be installed on the same wall as the exhaust vent, or through the floor underneath the trailer.

thanks.

If you only go thru 250 gallons of propane per winter then you have an extremely efficient trailer. My house, which is 950 sq/ft (the basement is not heated) goes thru that per MONTH with my FHW boiler system once it starts getting into the teens. I literally was spending a house payment (1,000 - 1,200) per month in the winter of 2013/2014 - so you are doing extremely well in my book.

If the goal is to save money, then it will take several years for payback a the numbers you show. Also, you may not be working at that job forever, so I would base my pellet costs on what the average person pays in your area, not what you can personally get it for (unless of course you own the business or are the boss's kid ;))

The pellet stove should be capable of heating a larger area than what you actually have. It is much easier to throttle it back than to get more heat out of it than it is designed for.

As to regs - not my area of expertise, nor would I want to guess.

Oh, and the OAK is usually a requirement for installation in a trailer. Check the installation manual, I'm sure it will tell you - just checked, on Page 3 it says if installed in a mobile home it HAS to have an OAK and can't be placed in a bedroom.

What she said...

Factor in the "cost" of using pellets.

- Will the stove be taking up needed space in the living area? Are you able to place it in a safe spot, keep kids away from the hot surfaces?

- Suitable storage area for the pellets, or will you be purchasing weekly?

- Are you OK moving the pellets around? Moving 40 lb bags of pellets gets old real quick

- Are you OK with a slightly dustier living environment? Any allergies to wood products?

- Looks like the stove is $2250CN ($1700US). Add on another minimum of $200CN for the installation needs (self installation). Is there a cost for pulling a permit, final inspection? Add that in. Add in the cost of a HEPA vacuum if you think you'll need one. Looks like the payback period for Pellets vs Propane is 6 years or more. Worth it for the extra work? Will you realize any savings? Will you still be living where you are by then?

Not trying to put you off on the idea, just trying to help you look long range. I put in a stove last year, and have enjoyed it even with the added work. But we may be looking at selling the house this year (unexpectedly)...and there goes my payback period. Whether or not the installation will increase the value of the house is anybody's guess.

And yes, you need an OAK for the installation, for safety and for economy. It should be OK to vent from under the trailer as long as it is truly pulling only outside air. You'll want to design it to be easily accessible for yearly cleaning, and protect it from critters nesting in it. Bees, mice, etc.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.