Severe Weather Alert - What is your backup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmcw

Aug 27, 2008
Texas
Severe Weather Alert - What is your backup?

The news says over 30 states will freeze in serial days. In Houston, it is 68 degrees but a hard freeze is going to a Severe Weather Alert.

If the ice breaks the electric wires so you can’t use the TV, the heaters or if the water freezes the pipes burst and a people may get stuck in their homes. Have you stocked your food for three days?

I have an Avalon insert and a propane tank and a generator and I have food for over three days and a lot dry wood.

What I missing (beer, wine, drinking water)?

Be warm.

Robert

Apparently everyone up here thinks bread and milk will get you through anything.....so I purchased a cow and planted a field of wheat in my basement....

remkel,... lmao!.... it is true i dont know why they think that but man its funny!

Remkel said:
Apparently everyone up here thinks bread and milk will get you through anything.....so I purchased a cow and planted a field of wheat in my basement....

Yeah, I don't wanna be anywhere near a grocery store the day before the storm. I call em the bread and milk idiots.

No generator here. If ice takes out my power I won't be able to post about it. I know I won't be cold though. Enough wood and the stove proved it could handle -4 temps last week.

Warm in RI said:
Remkel said:

Yeah, I don't wanna be anywhere near a grocery store the day before the storm. I call em the bread and milk idiots.

No generator here. If ice takes out my power I won't be able to post about it. I know I won't be cold though. Enough wood and the stove proved it could handle -4 temps last week.

It's like that over here too. I grew up in Florida and I am baffled by this odd trend.

Our weather forecasters around here actually measure the severity of a storm using their "bread and millk" meters. Three breads and two milks is a reasonable storm. I think the one forecast for later tonight and tomorrow is a 4/3 storm...

We've got a generator with a transfer switch in the house. Power goes out, generator gets plugged in, flip a switch, power to everything in the house that matters (including fridge, freezer, blower on stove, TV and satellite receiver, computer, and well pump when we need it). We have chickens, so can live on eggs for a couple days if need be.

I wish we had a better supply of wood put in though. We're having problems getting heat from the last cord we bought. Seasoned and dry, just low BTUs.

We weathered three and a half days without power a few years ago. Backup is two wood stoves, plenty of wood inside, a propane kitchen stove and plenty of drinking water. Ice not predicted for the Schoharie valley but upwards of 30" of snow a possibility. Firehouse is run by a generator if we lose power and I'm on volunteer ambulance duty tomorrow and Thursday. Doing a SNOW DANCE to send the stuff to NYC, Cn. and BB. :lol: Warren

Prep for winter was done by the end of Sept.
I just keep the gas jugs filled up as needed.
Not really preparation,
"The Norm" for us.

**"Remkel
"Apparently everyone up here thinks bread and milk will get you through anything…..so I purchased a cow and planted a field of wheat in my basement…." **

:lol a good laugh "Thanks" :::& steaks when the cow runs out of food ;)

BrowningBAR said:
Warm in RI said:
Remkel said:

It's like that over here too. I grew up in Florida and I am baffled by this odd trend.

I think it started witht the blizzard of 78. The whole state here was basically shut down for days. Travel was by foot. I was only 11 so it was fun for me. It was like an old fashioned community. Folks hanging around outside, walking to places together. You got to kow your neighbors better. It was really unifying. Anyway, the storm wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as it was so I guess a lot of folks were caught without enough staple food items like bread and milk, especially if they had kids, so..........

there ya go.

Warm in RI said:
BrowningBAR said:
Warm in RI said:
Remkel said:

I think it started witht the blizzard of 78. The whole state here was basically shut down for days. Travel was by foot. I was only 11 so it was fun for me. It was like an old fashioned community. Folks hanging around outside, walking to places together. You got to kow your neighbors better. It was really unifying. Anyway, the storm wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as it was so I guess a lot of folks were caught without enough staple food items like bread and milk, especially if they had kids, so..........

there ya go.

I think it just give the state of PA a reason to eat more...

no generator, propane kitchen stove (burners only when no power), kerosene lamps, Cistern for water (giant tank holds 6,000 gallons under my porch, our everyday water source) our little "kindling burner stove--Vermont Castings Intrepid II. Can cook on top of the stove, no power needed for heat, plenty of wood.

will can the freezer if the power stays off too long. Got jars, lids and a pressure canner. always bulk buy for the best deals so there is usually plenty here to cook.
We're as ready as we can be.

Have been snowed in (with power) for 14 days before when we had 25 inches of snow. Our tractor wouldn't start and the neighbor chained up his tractor and plowed us out after 14 days. Was a long time before it all melted!

BrowningBAR said:
Warm in RI said:
BrowningBAR said:
Warm in RI said:
Remkel said:

there ya go.

I think it just give the state of PA a reason to eat more...

Then it that case, I vote for a change to a pizza and ice cream alert when a storm is coming. If your gonna eat more............

couple of 30 packs, pile of wood, chips, charged cell phone and number of pizza place that delivers........

Not worried about us. But my family is in North Central Texas. Forecast is snow tonight and tomorrow and a low of seven tomorrow night. High of fourteen and low of five the next day with 25 MPH winds. They ain't even equipped to handle that. They laugh at over a hundred degree days but this kinda cold is a whole nother game for them.

I manage to keep the pantry pretty well stocked. My wife took up canning last year so we have that as well. i have plenty of dry seasoned firewood, plenty of gas on hand for the generator. plenty to drink. If things get too bad I have 4 dogs a parrot and a cat LOL

Jeff

Just another winter day here...

Here I am, virtually at the end of the electric line, a well that needs electricity to pump water, and electric heat and hot water. Sure, the Jotul will keep the house warm (forecast - minus 8 f. on Thurs. - I guess we'll find out how warm), but I've been without power for a couple of weeks before. So, I have a Generac 16 kw generator and almost $3,000 of disconnect switches. It will run everything but the electric furnace, which I never use anyway, and powers both the house and the shop (where the well pump is powered).

It does a nice job if you don't mind the 10 or 12 gal. of gas a day. Just call it $30. Actually, that is not quite true as I shut it off at bedtime.

BrotherBart said:
Not worried about us. But my family is in North Central Texas. Forecast is snow tonight and tomorrow and a low of seven tomorrow night. High of fourteen and low of five the next day with 25 MPH winds. They ain't even equipped to handle that. They laugh at over a hundred degree days but this kinda cold is a whole nother game for them.

BB you hit the nail on the head. Hell, in the summer we may very well wake up to temps that equate to some areas highs. This cold however, I wish would blow around us. I may have to do like my cattle and head out into the brush to avoid the wind!! On second thought, sitting in front of one of my stoves sounds better! We are not used to this at all.

Got the beer got the wine , got the milk for the white russians got the wood, lotsa water in that snow thats coming. freezer is full of venison grass fed beef and sweet corn,,, underground storage full of potatoes. tractors ready to plow, gens gassed up if it really gets to that ... Bring it my snow shovel is waxed and i got a new tube of ben gay

Not that worried here. We are on the edge of danger. I have the insert + a battery and inverter. Think I will add a generator next year ala BB. I have two vivid memories of past winters. In 1954 in north central Nebraska, I lived in the country - went to a one room schoolhouse with a 3-holer. We had a blizzard that had drifts as high as the top of the two-story (or higher) barn. They were flying food to starving cattle herds by helicopter. We were stuck for about a week and a half. The path to the chicken coop through the snow was over my head. In 1962, in western Nebraska (Scottsbluff), we dropped down to below minus 30 degrees F for a week. The gas lines from Wyoming froze, so we had very little energy coming in. Public buildings (including schools) closed and everybody shut down their home temperatures to 50 degrees. That was chilly.

1954 in Pennsylvania was a winner, too. In places, the snow drifted so deep that we could sit on the cross-arms of the telephone poles.

=================

For this coming storm, I have a little Honda generator, a 5 gallon water jug, groceries (milk, bread and TOILET PAPER!!!), cell phone on charger, electric lantern on charger, candles and lighter lined up, three days' firewood in the basement... Got books to read, two sweaters to knit, three dogs to romp with.

Let 'er rip.

Nancy

just thought about my post ... dont wanna sound like an alchie, im the only one with a woodstove so im planning on all the friends bein here if the sh!t hits the fan so to speak

Warm in RI said:
BrowningBAR said:
Warm in RI said:
Remkel said:

there ya go.

I was only 8 but remember it like yesterday. My father brought- brace yourself for it- one of his milk trucks home. We delivered milk via snowmobile. We also delivered fuel oil and went to change out the shifts at Woonsocket Hospital. Too bad I was only 8- driving all the nurses home would have been a whole new experience now!

"For this coming storm, I have a little Honda generator, a 5 gallon water jug, groceries (milk, bread and TOILET PAPER!!!), "

PopCrackleSnap: Toilet Paper is key. That is my first priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.