SH 55 PEP ignitor info?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teetah222

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2009
WA state
I'm guessing my igniter died last night. This morning the burn pot was full, house was cold. I tried several times to restart the stove after cleaning it, but it never did light via the igniter. Couldn't see any glow from the igniter at all. I sent a question to Englander, as their instructions said to take out the stabilizer screw, then pull out the igniter, but I couldn't get anything to budge after I took out the stabilizer screw. Anyone else out there ever replace an igniter? Should it unscrew, maybe?

Also, do they just suddenly quit like that? Yesterday all was fine, today nothing. Darn thing is only a year old... :(

I am running the stove on the lowest possible setting today(lit it manually) so I don't get the house so hot I can't bear it, but really want to get back to using the thermostat ASAP. I also already ordered a new igniter from Englander, but still need to know if there's something else to be done to remove the old one or that won't help me.

So, you followed the instructions in the owners manual.....unplugged the stove, disconnected the ignitor wires, took the bolt out that holds the ignitor tube using a 5/16" wrench or socket, and then used an allen wrench to loosen the set screw (what you called a "stabilizer screw"?)? If so, the ignitor should just slide out of the tube.

If you got the set screw loose, make sure you remove it almost all the way.

I guess it's possible that the ignitor is full of ash and may require some twisting with a pair of pliers.

Oh, BTW, once you got the ignitor & tube out of the stove, did you try hooking the wire leads to straight 120v AC and see if it gets hot. If it really IS burned out, there should be NO heat from it at all.

Actually I was stuck just trying to get the tube out of the stove... couldn't get it out after undoing the bolt, so couldn't get to the set screw. Never got as far as the set screw for the actual ignitor. Does the tube unscrew or something? (Guess I should make sure of my terms for describing things... would have helped, huh?)

Looking at the owners manual, it looks to just slide out, like my 10-cpm does. It's possible it's a tight fit, and might need at pair of pliers to twist it back & forth and pull at the same time......

Maybe I'll try prying again... Will see what the Englander folks have to say in the e-mail response. Thanks for the input. I thought it should have been simple... LOL

sometimes the tube can be tight passing through the cradle, if you look under the top of the cradle on each side there are 2 bolts, loosen the bolts to allow the cradle to wiggle a bit and the sleeve should slide out much easier

Thanks, Mike! The cradle loosening did the trick. Slid right out.

Unfortunately, I only managed to prove to myself that the igniter really must be dead. I cleaned it up, cleaned the tube up, put them back in and still no glow. I have the new igniter on order, but until that gets here, I guess I'm down to manually lighting it every night when I get home from work. Works, but not ideal. :blank:

New ignitor got here Thursday night, pretty fast on the shipping considering Englander is halfway across the country from me. Put it in last night, and now I'm happily auto-igniting again. :)

Haubera said:
New ignitor got here Thursday night, pretty fast on the shipping considering Englander is halfway across the country from me. Put it in last night, and now I'm happily auto-igniting again. :)

Glad you have a hot rod again. Halfway? Little more than that.

a little... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.