Shag bark hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropelie

Dec 19, 2013
Iowa
A great free score close to home, am I right?

Attachments

• 20150124_140937.jpg
    20150124_140937.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 20150124_152439.jpg
    20150124_152439.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 20150124_153801.jpg
    20150124_153801.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 528
Reactions: Plow Boy
Not a hickory expert, but I don't think so.

Hickory is great, one of my favorite woods! Well, except for the fact that it's a bi@@@ to split (unless you have a good splitter), is heavy as heck and takes at least a year to season correctly. Most of my hickory is from dead standing or recently fallen dead standing trees. So it's possible that most hickory can take longer to season that what I'm experiencing.

It burns good though!

Looks like it to me...I bet those rounds are as heavy as ship anchors! And it might even have a slight manure smell to it....

Looks like hickory to me. Good score!!

heavy is an understatement. The only had to carry them about 30 yards but the second load had a lot more than I expected. I am excited for these bad boys! Only one year? I thought hickory was atleast 2

Shagbark for sure. Most of my woods is hickory trees. Its great. Get all you can.

Looks like the shagbark hickory i split and stacked. Flakey, almost sharp bark, deep colored center, Takes some gumption to split by hand.

Yup Shaggy

I can vouch for that you are to split by hand. It took me 10 or 15 wacks to get the smaller splits in two to carry thwm

heavy is an understatement. The only had to carry them about 30 yards but the second load had a lot more than I expected. I am excited for these bad boys! Only one year? I thought hickory was atleast 2

I would treat it like any other hard wood and season for two. But three is always better :)

What happened to the Riders of the Storm video.? I couldnt make an association between Jim Morrison and Hickory. Thought it was really funny late night stuff.
But the poster must have made a wrong link. Lol.
Listening to the Doors singing on YouTube while looking at hickory photos...;lol

Nice job! Just get any Hickory out of contact with any possible source of moisture. Don't know what's up with that species, but it's hygroscopic to beat the band. And you'll be heartbroken when that solid granite you moved dries out as light as balsa wood!!

Don't ask me how I know...

The pignut hickory I have around here needs even more time than our oak to season properly. Three years minimum. But man! That's some good stuff.
It is also my experience that the quicker you split it, the easier. I left some rounds stacked up once and came back the next year to hand split with a ten pound maul.
That wood just laughed at me. Hardest danged wood I've ever encountered.

Ah hell, a good friend I haven't seen for a long while showed up with a thirty pak...we killed it, I was hammered..

check the whiteboy blowin' harp at the 7 minute mark... he digs hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.